Opeining Pool - Green Swamp - How many bottles of bleach?

Shaz

Aug 19, 2012
I'm fairly new to the forum and this is my first post so hope it makes sense. Opened pool two days ago and it was a green swamp. Added some shock (I know, but the CYA was 0) and yesterday added 8 bottle 96 oz bottles of bleach 6% chlorine. Water is now light green and you can see some of the bottom in the shallow end. We did vac the pool bottom & sides.

How many bottles of bleach do I need to add to knock the rest of the algae out? Pool specs below:

35,000 gal
Inground vinyl

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I love this website and have learned so much!

Re: Opeining Pool - Green Swamp - How many bottles of bleach

Assuming your cya is in the middle of the range (40), your suggested shock level is 15ppm (according to the pool calculator). to get to shock level you would need 11 bottles. if you had a green swamp, as you say, then most (if not all) the chlorine you added was already depleated when you woke up the next morning. my suggestion is to read the "turn your green swamp into a sparkling oasis" article on this site and get a good test kit recommended by this site.

There's no way to tell how much it will take in advance. A lot depends on how gooey the water is, how much stuff you scoop and vacuum out beforehand, and how diligent you are about replenishing the bleach to keep it at shock level. Here's one success story:

[center:f9h51tfy]
file.php
[/center:f9h51tfy]

Thanks so much! The 11 bottles is a starting place. We have brushed the sides and vac'd the bottom, how thorough it was is difficult to tell as we couldn't see anything. I started to read the article you mentioned and was interrupted will go back and finish. I'll keep you posted.

Shaz said:
Thanks so much! The 11 bottles is a starting place. We have brushed the sides and vac'd the bottom, how thorough it was is difficult to tell as we couldn't see anything. I started to read the article you mentioned and was interrupted will go back and finish. I'll keep you posted.
We cannot help you calculate the # of bottles/gallons of bleach/liquid chlorine without knowing what your CYA level is. So, the very first thing we need to know is a full set of test results. Also tell us how you got them, pool store, test kit (which one), etc. This is what we need:
:testresults:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.