Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boric Acid v borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Boric Acid v borax

I found this link to 99.9% pure boric acid http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?qu ... 4AodPwcAmA and wonder if I can use that instead of borax. I've read reference to it in some posts, but nothing direct. I think I need about 10% less of boric acid. Plus there is the avoided effort and cost of adding muriatic acid. Can I just use this instead and titrate up to 50ppm?

PS, I have high pH and high TA already, this could help, right?
    30000gal, IG, Painted concrete, ~1940. Current equip plan, comment welcome!
    Jandy SHPM2.0-2 2HP uprated (60ft/100gpm), Hayward S310T2 Pro Series Top Mount Sand 30in. (possible zeolite?), CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, 2 skim, 1 drain, 1 vacuum (Kreepy Krauly Kruiser).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Boric Acid v borax

Yes you can use that. It doesn't require you to use Acid to counter the PH rise from using borax.
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool, what ratio of borax to boric acid?
    Jandy SHPM2.0-2 2HP uprated (60ft/100gpm), Hayward S310T2 Pro Series Top Mount Sand 30in. (possible zeolite?), CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, 2 skim, 1 drain, 1 vacuum (Kreepy Krauly Kruiser).

4. Back To Top    #4

IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

5. Back To Top    #5

Boric acid is only very mildly acidic. While it will lower the PH, it won't do so by much.

Also, to clarify for people reading along, boric acid is a great substitute for borax for use increasing your borate level. It is not useful as a substitute when using borax to raise PH, as it will lower the PH instead.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by NoFear95
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    Yeah, sorry about that, missed the drop down to select. Its a pretty strong ratio!

7. Back To Top    #7

We should probably add Duda Diesel to the list of boric acid sources in the Recommended Pool Chemicals Pool School article. Thank you for finding this source -- we've seen it before, but I'm glad you brought it up again.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

If I am not mistaken before you add borates you should make sure your TA is in range as once you add borates it is harder to adjust TA
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

I think the chemistry is that boric acid ifs a weak acid and will form a buffer Or a salt in high pH water, but it should move the pH down.

10. Back To Top    #10

I ordered my boric acid from Duda Diesel. It was recommended elsewhere to make sure to order the granular version, as opposed to the powdered version.

For 25 lbs, the price was just slightly more than the equivalent amount of 20 Team Mule Borax, and way cheaper if I added the amount of muriatic acid I would have needed to use the borax route instead of boric acid.

Also the process was very easy. I broadcast the boric acid across the pool, then swept with my brush, walking around the pool two times. By the second time around, the boric acid had completely dissolved. I checked with my test strip, and it looked to be right at 50 PPM.

In my case, pH dropped from 7.5 to 7.3 after adding the boric acid.
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't understand why everyone is saying that BORAX is the same price as Boric Acid. The DUDA Diesel site sells boric acid at $2.11/lb including postage and Amazon sells BORAX at $1.08/lb. Even when you add in the muriatic acid ($15 for three gallons), that is still quite a savings, given that a small pool takes a minumum of 50LB. We're talking over $100 for the boric acid vs $65 for the BORAX + acid. Is it because boric acid is easier to use and for some that may be worth the extra cost?

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to TFP!

It takes 1.54 times as much weight of 20 Mule Team Borax as boric acid to get to the same amount of borates in the water. So the Borax is really $1.08*1.54 = $1.66 on an equivalent basis. 50 pounds of Borax would be 50 ppm borates in a 13,500 gallon pool. You would only need 50/1.54 = 32.5 pounds of boric acid to get the same borates amount.

So for this 13,500 gallon pool example, this is 50*$1.08 + $15 = $69 for the Borax plus acid
    while for boric acid it is 32.5*$2.11 = $69 for the boric acid

So it turns out to be the same price. In general, the Borax + acid is somewhat less expensive, but the boric acid is more convenient not needing to be pH balanced very much -- it generally drops the pH from 7.5 to 7.2 at usual TA levels.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Chem geek & Jason, I am preparing myself for Borax + acid method and found this useful information, Planning to order below item and it comes to $102 including shipping from dudadiesel

Granular Boric Acid, 55 lb, Granular Form / Tech Grade 99.9+%, Use for Mold, Pests, & much more
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014