Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does R-0013 CYA reagent lose alot of potency.

1. Back To Top    #1

Does R-0013 CYA reagent lose alot of potency.

I have a 2 year old TF-100 kit and I am getting a much lower then expected CYA level. Is this due to an old reagent or is my CYA really <20?
    I have repeated the test many times with similar results.
    Size: 11370 gallons
    Filter: sta-rite cartridge
    pool: In-ground vinyl
    pump: ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does R-0013 CYA reagent lose alot of potency.

How much water have you replaced in the past few months due to rain, overflow or drain and fills?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Well, two years is a long time for any of the reagents but, sadly, (because I'm not gonna' get to sell a refill ) The R-0013 is probably the most stable reagent in the kit and should be just fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Well, two years is a long time for any of the reagents but, sadly, (because I'm not gonna' get to sell a refill ) The R-0013 is probably the most stable reagent in the kit and should be just fine.
    Since I've had my Taylor k-2006 test kit, my cya hasn't shown up on the scale. I've been taking samples to leslies who basically is using the same test reagent, r-0013 but using the 4088 sliding stick comparator resulting in a 40ppm result. Being concerned that My own test using twice diluted sample just to see the black dot on the scale and a cya of 320, I called Taylor cust service who said that the 4088 tests done by Leslies is probably correct especially since my chlorine usage stays at about 1ppm/day and my water is a pretty clear blue. I've ordered the 4088 test from them. No special lighting conditions required and a easier to use comparator. And no draining my pool. Also picking up a16 oz bottle of r-0013 reagent considering higher use in the 4088 tester. I tested my tap/fill water and the ta is150-- no wonder My pool ta is130. We've had a lot of rain lately. I built an aerator the other day. Question I have is does that have any affect on chlorine usage? My pH has been low recently, so I'm wondering how long it should take to notice an increase, and how high can it go? I bought a couple gals of MA the other day, but Haven't used it yet. How much will it take to lower TA to 80? From 130.

5. Back To Top    #5

While it is quite a bit easier to use, lighting still affects the 4088 sliding cell. It also requires more reagent for each test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    While it is quite a bit easier to use, lighting still affects the 4088 sliding cell. It also requires more reagent for each test.
    Not according to Taylor about the lighting-I asked specifically about that. And regarding the additional reagent, thus the 16 oz bottle. Cost is just slightly more than a 2 oz replacement. Thanks for the quick reply Jason!