Noob, getting started - did Pool School - lotsa questions!

Knucklehead

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2013
Woodland, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
My grandfather built this pool in 1958. The pool is plaster, 20' x 45' and last year we tried to fix much of the plaster and didn't do too bad (didn't do great, either) the water level kept dropping over the year due to small leaks. This year we painted it with epoxy paint that seems to be doing great.

~30,000 gallon plaster painted pool
New Intelliflo pump
Old Sand Filter (working fine, tho!)

I just got one of the recommended kits and the following is my first set of measurements after I added CYA.

FC = 0
CC = 0
TC = 0
pH = 7.5
T/A = 350
CYA = 25
Calc = 200

I know the immediate issue that I know how to resolve is that there is no Chlorine in the pool and the CYA is low. I added CYA so I believe it will end up around 50. A few hours after I added the CYA I added chlorine and the levels with the basic test kit were much higher. I'll get all that balanced... So my questions...

1. The source of the pool water is well water in Northern Sacramento Valley. I walked into a pool store and they immediately tried to sell me an additive due to metals in the well water with no analysis. I took a step back and thought I would toss the question out to all of you. Is there anything I need to test for? Is there some sort of generic additive for well water that will resolve metal issues? Any other steps I need to consider using well water?

2. My T/A is very high. I added alot of Muriatic Acid to bring the pH down from 8.2 to 7.5 (basic test kit). It dropped the T/A some (my initial T/A was around 450). Do I need to do more? What can I do?

3. My calcium looks quite high. With a painted pool and all piping PVC, is this a concern? From what I understand my only solution for this is to get water elsewhere.

4. The only other anectodal thing is that my Aunt keeps telling me the water has alot of Boron in it. Not sure where she got that. It may have come from my grandfather dealing with the pool, or somewhere else. Any feedback on this info?

Thanks for your anticipated replies!!!

Re: Noob, getting started - did Pool School - lotsa question

Your CA level is manageable, mine is 450. It will go up over time so you will just need to monitor it. I test for CA maybe once every 4 months or so.

TA will go down as you use muriatic acid to control the pH. At first the pH will rise a lot, especially with new plaster (not sure how epoxy paint might impact that), every time you lower the pH you will lower the TA a bit. You will probably need to check pH everyday.

No idea about metals, sorry.

Unless you have a water softener on the house, you ought to know by now if you have iron in the water. Those rust stains in the sink, tub, and toilet are a dead giveaway. If the water turns a clear green after you add bleach, that's another indicator.

First you need to know if you have metals. Has there been staining of the plaster, or water color issues in the past? You may have metals, but I would run from anyone selling something without confirming you need it.

The fact that your Grandpa built the pool is really, really cool to me. Would love to see a picture when you can.

Welcome to the best Pool Site on the net! :wave:

Thanks all! There is no indication I have metals in the water. No discoloration anywhere. So, I'll leave that alone. I'll put a photo on as well as more details about the equipment. The more I read the more I get concerned about the CYA level and chlorine. Is 50 where I want to be? Should I avoid powdered chlorine? I read that if I use too much powdered chlorine or pucks it will drive it up too hihg

Is 50 where I want to be? Should I avoid powdered chlorine? I read that if I use too much powdered chlorine or pucks it will drive it up too hihg

50 is a little high if you don't have a SWG, but it is manageable. Definitely avoid solid chlorine it'll either add CA or CYA neither of which you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.