Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob, getting started - did Pool School - lotsa questions!

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob, getting started - did Pool School - lotsa questions!

My grandfather built this pool in 1958. The pool is plaster, 20' x 45' and last year we tried to fix much of the plaster and didn't do too bad (didn't do great, either) the water level kept dropping over the year due to small leaks. This year we painted it with epoxy paint that seems to be doing great.

~30,000 gallon plaster painted pool
    New Intelliflo pump
    Old Sand Filter (working fine, tho!)

I just got one of the recommended kits and the following is my first set of measurements after I added CYA.

FC = 0
    CC = 0
    TC = 0
    pH = 7.5
    T/A = 350
    CYA = 25
    Calc = 200

I know the immediate issue that I know how to resolve is that there is no Chlorine in the pool and the CYA is low. I added CYA so I believe it will end up around 50. A few hours after I added the CYA I added chlorine and the levels with the basic test kit were much higher. I'll get all that balanced... So my questions...

1. The source of the pool water is well water in Northern Sacramento Valley. I walked into a pool store and they immediately tried to sell me an additive due to metals in the well water with no analysis. I took a step back and thought I would toss the question out to all of you. Is there anything I need to test for? Is there some sort of generic additive for well water that will resolve metal issues? Any other steps I need to consider using well water?

2. My T/A is very high. I added alot of Muriatic Acid to bring the pH down from 8.2 to 7.5 (basic test kit). It dropped the T/A some (my initial T/A was around 450). Do I need to do more? What can I do?

3. My calcium looks quite high. With a painted pool and all piping PVC, is this a concern? From what I understand my only solution for this is to get water elsewhere.

4. The only other anectodal thing is that my Aunt keeps telling me the water has alot of Boron in it. Not sure where she got that. It may have come from my grandfather dealing with the pool, or somewhere else. Any feedback on this info?

Thanks for your anticipated replies!!!
    35,000 Gallon Painted Plaster rectangular pool built in 1958 by my grandfather.
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed 3 HP Pump
    StaRite System 3 Model S8S70 300# Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob, getting started - did Pool School - lotsa question

If it's well water, you'll pretty much always have boron (borates) present to some degree as it is just one of those things necessary for soil and plant life.
    18k Gallon rectangle IG concrete pool, Waterco S600 Sand Filter
    Current test kit: Taylor TF100

3. Back To Top    #3

Your CA level is manageable, mine is 450. It will go up over time so you will just need to monitor it. I test for CA maybe once every 4 months or so.

TA will go down as you use muriatic acid to control the pH. At first the pH will rise a lot, especially with new plaster (not sure how epoxy paint might impact that), every time you lower the pH you will lower the TA a bit. You will probably need to check pH everyday.

No idea about metals, sorry.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless you have a water softener on the house, you ought to know by now if you have iron in the water. Those rust stains in the sink, tub, and toilet are a dead giveaway. If the water turns a clear green after you add bleach, that's another indicator.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

First you need to know if you have metals. Has there been staining of the plaster, or water color issues in the past? You may have metals, but I would run from anyone selling something without confirming you need it.

The fact that your Grandpa built the pool is really, really cool to me. Would love to see a picture when you can.

Welcome to the best Pool Site on the net!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all! There is no indication I have metals in the water. No discoloration anywhere. So, I'll leave that alone. I'll put a photo on as well as more details about the equipment. The more I read the more I get concerned about the CYA level and chlorine. Is 50 where I want to be? Should I avoid powdered chlorine? I read that if I use too much powdered chlorine or pucks it will drive it up too hihg
    35,000 Gallon Painted Plaster rectangular pool built in 1958 by my grandfather.
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed 3 HP Pump
    StaRite System 3 Model S8S70 300# Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Is 50 where I want to be? Should I avoid powdered chlorine? I read that if I use too much powdered chlorine or pucks it will drive it up too hihg
    50 is a little high if you don't have a SWG, but it is manageable. Definitely avoid solid chlorine it'll either add CA or CYA neither of which you need.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    The fact that your Grandpa built the pool is really, really cool to me. Would love to see a picture when you can.
    Me too!!

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Me too! I wanna see.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir