Is auto pilot nano making chlorine

Oct 30, 2011
guy, i have a auto pilot namo in my 15000 gallon inground pool. I run the pool 7 hours a day of a timer ant the cya level is 26 . the salt level is 3200 ppm, tested by pool store. I took the cell off and looked at it and all i see are the metal blades i do not see any calcium build up. i usually can place a test strip at the return jet and get a high chlorine reading. now it barly shows any. is there any other way to test the chlorine output? anything else i should be doing? thanks for you help.

Moderator note: This thread contains three threads merged together so some questions answers may feel a little out of sync.

Test strips are unreliable. I usually test mine at the return with the OTO chlorine test and compare to the same test in the bulk of the water. The yellow of the OTO test will be darker from the return if the cell is producing chlorine.

Are you certain of your cya level? That is much to low for a swg pool. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

trouble with SWG making Chlorine

Hey guys I could you some of your expert help. I have a Autopilot Mano Salt System with a R35/22 cell. It recently stooped making Chlorine. This is the 3rd year for having the system. The chemical of the pool is: calcuim 155, FC .04, TC.24, CC 2, pH 7.6, TA 65, Cyanuric Acid 41, Alkalinity 65, Salt 3700 PPM. The salt tested 3600 on the namo and the 3700 from the pool store. I have taken the cell off and inspected it and did not see anything. I clean with muriatic acid (1 part 5 part water). But still no Chlorine, any ideas. The water temp is 85 and the votage is 5.0 a. Is there anything that I can try or do you guys think the cell is toast. I would think that it would last at least 3 years. Any comments are wecome thanks in advance.

Re: trouble with SWG making Chlorine

The Cyanuric Acid is at 40. Auora pool tested it and told me that the level should be from 20 to 50. So need to get it up to 60 right? Next I ran a hose to the return and tested that water. It tested at around 1.3. I do not know what the percentage the generator is set on but typical in the past years when looking at it it is usually on around 35%. Now days it is on 96 to 100%. But I never change the setting, I assume it dose it automatically. Lastly, when slamming the pool Do i use liquid Chlorine like bleach or is the bags of shock good? I read the pool school slamming but was not clear on this.

Re: trouble with SWG making Chlorine

Bleach is preferred, though you could use cal-hypo until the CH level gets a fair bit higher.

Don't raise the CYA level until you finish the SLAM process.

The recommended CYA level for use with a SWG is 70 to 80.

How to tell if my SWG is making chlorine

I have a autopilot nano on a 12,000 gallon pool. First off last year it stopped making chlorine so we finished of the season with chlorine tablets. I just bought a new one this week and installed it today and I can not really tell if it is making chlorine. The unit shows 3500 salt, 14 volt and 5.1 a. I see on the forum that I should see bubbles in the salt cell if it is makeing chlorine but I do not. how do you test if it is making chlorine? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I have another question, My sc-36 has to post to connect to it but the cable from the autopilot nano has 3 connector places. How do you know what 2 to use. The instruction manual dose not say anything about the cable having 3 prongs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: How to tell if my SWG is making chlorine

I have another question, My sc-36 has to post to connect to it but the cable from the autopilot nano has 3 connector places. How do you know what 2 to use. The instruction manual dose not say anything about the cable having 3 prongs.

As Jason mentioned it does not matter which 2 terminals are used. However you should have a red weather cap in the extra hole to protect it.

Has your chlorine level improved?

No, I tested the pool yesterday and there was not chlorine at all. Looked at the nano screen and it is running a 24 hour boost with 1 volt and 5.1 amps. I do not think it is makeing chlorine is there any fuses or anything that can be done to make it work right? I send an email to autopiolt but as of 3 days no return.

i talked to autopilot tech today and he told me the power supply board is bad. what is the life expectancy on the board? if i have to spend 300 every 3 to 4 year on a new salt cell and 300 on a new power supply board every 3 years, i may as well just stay with chlorine. any toughs?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.