Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper way to mix CYA reagent (R-0013)?

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper way to mix CYA reagent (R-0013)?

Reason I ask is because I was testing a pool this weekend and if I swirled the small bottle I would get a reading of < 30ppm. Tried two separate tests (i.e. new reagent each time) and they both came back the same. I then redid the test but my son shook the bottle like you would a mixed drink and it came back with a reading > 40. Again I did it that way twice and both times were the same.

I have the K-2006 test kit by the way.

This happened by accident. I wasn’t trying to see which is correct. My 8 year old son just wanted to help and not telling him how to mix he just did it his way and thus the different readings.

So, do you swirl or shake the bottle for 30 seconds for an accurate test?

thanks.
    Ponduke
    20,000 gal/ Fiberglass IG/ Sta-rite s7m120 cartridge filter/Sta-rite SR400NA 400,000 btu heater/Polaris 360 Cleaner/K-2006 Test Kit
    poolcalculator
    Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper way to mix CYA reagent (R-0013)?

I measure out the reagents and let the speedstir mix it.

I also take multiple readings with the same sample, shaking it a couple times after I pour it back in the mixing bottle.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I measure out the reagents and let the speedstir mix it.

I also take multiple readings with the same sample, shaking it a couple times after I pour it back in the mixing bottle.
    Now why didn't I think of that. I just got the speedstir last week but didn't think to use it for that.

I also take multiple readings but I got a much higher reading when I shook it that's where my confusion started.
    Ponduke
    20,000 gal/ Fiberglass IG/ Sta-rite s7m120 cartridge filter/Sta-rite SR400NA 400,000 btu heater/Polaris 360 Cleaner/K-2006 Test Kit
    poolcalculator
    Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It isnt the mixing method. This test has some variance even when run perfectly. All turbidity tests do when results are viewed with the eye. Light, distance, and sample measuring would give different results. Having run hundreds of boiler polymer target tests over the years, I can swear by this. No worries though it is more than precise enough.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem