Faded Liner

agm247

Jun 10, 2013
We installed a new inground vinyl liner pol in fall Sept 2010, did not open (that is add salt, turn on the SWG), until Spring 2011. In less than 2 yrs, the liner has faded to the point of needing replacement.

It is a SWG pool, we watch chemistry fairly closely, but not religiously...no unusual chlorine ppm or other PH levels.

We also installed a solar blanket, which we use always at night and cloudy days, sometimes several days at a time.

We're still trying to figure out what went wrong?

The fading was all below the water line..so not sun/UV related don't think.

Does anyone have any science on the effect of high % use of solar blankets on SWG vinyl pool fading?

Could this entirely the cause of the accelerated fading or completely unrelated to blanket usage?

Welcome to tfp, agm247

agm247 said:
Does anyone have any science on the effect of high % use of solar blankets on SWG vinyl pool fading?
I am not aware of any correlation.

agm247 said:
Could this entirely the cause of the accelerated fading or completely unrelated to blanket usage?
I would think so, since if anything, the blanket should reduce the amount of uv light that gets to the liner.

Please post a full set of test results...see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/read_before_you_post

The other reason I suspect fading related to solar blanket is that I have a friend who installed a pool same time as myself (but different liner), also had same solar blanket, and his pool liner also faded over similar time period.

So what are the chances 2 completely different pool chemistries/liners, faded over same period, with commonality of solar blanket usage?

agm247 said:
So what are the chances 2 completely different pool chemistries/liners, faded over same period, with commonality of solar blanket usage?
If yours were the only two pools in the world with solar covers and fading, then there might be a correlation..but yours is not a common experience on this board, my pool being one example.

Where do you live? How much sun does the pool see?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's possible that the liner print is simply cheap and not chlorine resistant but, by far, the most common issue is excessive chlorine....doesn't seem to be your situation. I have no clue.

I'd pretty much bet on a dye issue. Either the dye itself or the process during the application. It could be the vinyl formulation but it's rare that they wouldn't find that before the liner was welded together.

One of the main reasons I am proposing the solar blanket is that BOTH the vinyl liner distributor and an actual liner manufacturer (CGT here in Canada) both specifically asked if I used the solar blanket at night and day time...they both said that having solar blanket on continuously could fade liner?

Now why would they say that? I thought I read somewhere about off gassing of chlorine in SCG pools, and other detrimental effects of not letting pools "breathe"?

Is there any scientific basis to this or just folklore?

With regard to comment above " Typically, fading is caused by high concentrations of FC over time", byt FC, this is the ppm that is measured by drop kits/test strips...if this is true, wouldn't I have seen very high and constant chlorine PPM levels?

Theoretically speaking, if a pool was constantly covered and the SWG was doing it's normal thing..pumping out FC every day, then lack of sun penetrating through a solar blanket covered pool (or extended cloudy days) result in ever increasing FC ppm?

Isn't this a practical reaslistic scenario, or the light passing through a solar blanket is plenty to break down FC?

It seems like you are not going to be happy until we say, "Yes"

Fact of the matter is, there is nothing you have described that would point to fading the liner. At a CYA of 80ppm, you would need FC on the order of 30-40ppm before we would say you were at risk for fading the liner.

Sure, with the cover on and running a SWG, the FC could climb, but if you were testing it, you should have noticed that and lower the SWG output. You have not indicated that the level ever got that high (although test strips are generally not to be trusted). The cover could result in a build up of some higher CC levels due to less sun, but again ... unless ridiculously high, they would not fade the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.