Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2" Unions - Are they universal?

1. Back To Top    #1

2" Unions - Are they universal?

Question on 2" unions (or unions in general). At some point I may need to replace my check valve that is plumbed after my heat pump. Unfortunatlely, the way it was hard plumbed would force me to replace half of the 2" union that connects to the heat pump.

Can I just purchase any 2" PVC union and will it interface properly with the heat pump mating half? I guess I'm wondering if there is an industry standard for unions? Or would I need to purchase the mating piece from the heat pump manufacturer directly?

Thanks,
    Dino
    Premier (Esther Williams) 24' x 52" Round AGP (13,500 gl.), Hayward 24" Pro-Series S244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, AquaRite SWG, AquaComfort ACT-1100 Heat Pump, Jandy/Zodiac iAqualink Automation System with iPhone App, Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40
    My New Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 2" Unions - Are they universal?

Not all unions are created equal. Threads are different.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

At my area Home Depots, even the 1.5" threaded unions will not mate up with the 1.5" slip (solvent weld) unions. They source them from 2 different suppliers who designed them differently.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

Or you could try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DGRKMfUbwQ

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfezjNDNxNo

I confess I haven't done this myself, because I found another way. But I will try one of these if I ever need to.

My other way was to use an inside coupler. The amount of flow restriction is minimal and it's a really easy way to solve some sticky problems.

BTW, not only are the threads all different, but the O-rings vary greatly. Medium pain to replace so don't lose them.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback folks.
    Premier (Esther Williams) 24' x 52" Round AGP (13,500 gl.), Hayward 24" Pro-Series S244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, AquaRite SWG, AquaComfort ACT-1100 Heat Pump, Jandy/Zodiac iAqualink Automation System with iPhone App, Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40
    My New Pool