Starting Over-New Water

Larry65

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2012
Kentucky
Last year, I had all kinds of problems with my pool water. From this forum, I figured it the problem was caused by a high concentration of CYA. When I opened the pool this spring, I drained approximately 3/4 of the water and refilled the pool from my well. I initially shocked the pool with 1# of Shock that morning. I then took a sample to a pool store and everything tested normal. The next morning, I shocked the pool again with 4 gallons of 8.75% bleach. I am using 3 99% trichloro-s-Triazinetrione tablets in a floater. Can someone refresh me on TFP scheduled maintenance? My pool is 16 x32 w/deepend (+/-10,000 gallons), a 1 hp pump, and 200# sand filter, which I just had the sand changed two months ago.

Refreshers can be found in Pool School. All you have to do is read it. :goodjob:

Welcome back.

Same advice as last year: Get a test kit!

What you want is already written out in

[center:1o7i7rqk]
file.php
[/center:1o7i7rqk]

I bought the test kit last year and also donated 30 bucks for the forum. I have tested the water myself and the only problem was that it was a little low on CYA. I added 3# stablizer. I have read through the pool school and can not find any recommendation as to when to add bleach. The guy who built this pool told me 6 gallons of bleach once a week (that was 20 years ago). I plan on adding 5 gallons of 8.25% bleach weekly since the bleach 20 yrs. ago was mainly 6%. That is question 1: How much bleach a week is recommended.

Question 2: What kind of tablets do I need to add to a floater and how often to maintain the chlorine?

I appreciate any suggestions and apologize for my ignorance.

Larry65 said:
I bought the test kit last year and also donated 30 bucks for the forum. I have tested the water myself and the only problem was that it was a little low on CYA. I added 3# stablizer. I have read through the pool school and can not find any recommendation as to when to add bleach. The guy who built this pool told me 6 gallons of bleach once a week (that was 20 years ago). I plan on adding 5 gallons of 8.25% bleach weekly since the bleach 20 yrs. ago was mainly 6%. That is question 1: How much bleach a week is recommended. Think Daily, not weekly. And how much depends upon what the test reads. In a few weeks, you'll pretty much know your pool's appetite.

Question 2: What kind of tablets do I need to add to a floater and how often to maintain the chlorine? Avoid tablets until you can juggle 4 parameters simultaneously and you have room for the extra stabilizer. Figure on adding liquid bleach daily instead. It's really not that much work - check out my signature below

I appreciate any suggestions and apologize for my ignorance.

Larry65 said:
FC 1.5
CC 3
pH 7.3
TA 150
CH 200
CYA 40

These readings were this morning. I shocked the pool 3 days ago.
That CC is waaaaay too high. You need to continue the shock process. It's a process that may takes days, not just a one-time super-chlorination. Shock level FC for 40 CYA is 15. So you need to get it to 15 and then recheck it and replenish the chlorine every couple hours until your pool passes the three tests to show it's cleared. It's all in Pool School

I assume I add more gallons of 8.25% bleach to the pool. How often can I do this? Every couple of hours, every 12 hours, once daily? Can you suggest a plan. Once I get the CC to the desired level, how often should I superchlorinate it w/5 gals. 8.25%.

Also, should I be using the tri-chlorine tabs at all?

Sorry for all the questions, but I had a difficult time w/this pool last year, so I drained it this year and replaced the water.

Finally (for now), using the pool calculator, I assume I enter my readings in the left (NOW) column and the TARGET column I do nothing with?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Larry65 said:
I assume I add more gallons of 8.25% bleach to the pool. How often can I do this? Every couple of hours, every 12 hours, once daily? Can you suggest a plan. Once I get the CC to the desired level, how often should I superchlorinate it w/5 gals. 8.25%.

Also, should I be using the tri-chlorine tabs at all?

Sorry for all the questions, but I had a difficult time w/this pool last year, so I drained it this year and replaced the water.

Finally (for now), using the pool calculator, I assume I enter my readings in the left (NOW) column and the TARGET column I do nothing with?
Every couple hours.

Once you pass the three tests to indicate the shock process is through, you just maintain the minimum FC for your CYA. You may never need the shock process again if you stay on top of things.

Until you get the hang of using the pool calculator and balancing the water, I would suggest you not use trichlor pucks. They affect 4 parameters at once, which is probably too many for you to juggle right now.

So...calculate how much bleach to get to 15 and pour it in. Read pool-school/ for a while, then restest the FC and raise it back up to 15 again. Go read pool-school/ some more. Repeat until the water is clear. By then, you should have picked up some knowledge and you will know the next step.

We preach knowledge and understanding here, not "dump this in and see what happens" like the pool store.

Sorry about that
Test Results 8AM CST
FC 4.5
CC 6.5
pH 7.2
TA 150
CH 200
CYA 32
Cl 5
I added 2 gallons 8.25% bleach yesterday; I assume I continue to add bleach. I must have misread the CYA yesterday because from what I've read at Pool School, CYA doesn't evaporate. Should I add more stabilizer?

Larry65 said:
Sorry about that
Test Results 8AM CST
FC 4.5
CC 6.5
pH 7.2
TA 150
CH 200
CYA 32
Cl 5
I added 2 gallons 8.25% bleach yesterday; I assume I continue to add bleach. I must have misread the CYA yesterday because from what I've read at Pool School, CYA doesn't evaporate. Should I add more stabilizer?
Just worry about FC and CC right now. Keep adding bleach until the water clears up and the CC gets to .5 or less, then worry about the overnight test and balancing the rest.

I must have misread the CYA yesterday because from what I've read at Pool School, CYA doesn't evaporate. Should I add more stabilizer?

There's a lot of factors that can cause the CYA reading to change a little (tolerance, lighting), I'd leave CYA alone for now and continue the shock process using 40. It's better to put a little extra chlorine in then not enough, especially with the cc's you have now.

6/13 9AM Readings (Added 4 gals 8.25 bleach @ 3 hr intervals since last test--backwash&rinse filter afterwards)
FC 5.0 from 4.5 yesterday
CC 5.0 from 6.5 (down 1.5 ppm)
pH 7.2 same
TA 150 same
CH 220 from 200 yesterday
CYA 40 same as day before yesterday

I'm going to continue to add bleach.....This makes 14 gals since I opened pool & replaced 75% of water with well water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.