Starting Over-New Water

This is 4th straight morning FC has dropped more than 2.0 ppm overnight. I'm testing around 10pm and 5am; other readings: pH 7.6, CC 0-0.5, TA 150, CH 240, and CYA 50. I've been adding bleach to run FC up to 15-18 every 3-4 hrs. but I still can't get the FC to drop less than 1ppm overnight. Any suggestions?

You are getting closer. I suggest you bump shock level up to 20.

Have you checked all the hiding places for algae? Still brushing the pool every day?

Can you post a pic of the pool for us?

Do the folks at WallyWorld know you by your first name? :wink:

I'll bump up to 20; pool is crystal clear all the time
Yes, brushing every day
I don't know how to post a picture; I can if you can tell me how
I kinda rotate between KMart, Walmart, & Kroger's looking for the best deal.

Larry65 said:
This is 4th straight morning FC has dropped more than 2.0 ppm overnight. I'm testing around 10pm and 5am; other readings: pH 7.6, CC 0-0.5, TA 150, CH 240, and CYA 50. I've been adding bleach to run FC up to 15-18 every 3-4 hrs. but I still can't get the FC to drop less than 1ppm overnight. Any suggestions?
Do you have steps in the pool? Have you checked the ladder for green sludge inside the legs? Anything growing under the rungs?

I'll bump up to 20; pool is crystal clear all the time
Good.
Yes, brushing every day
:goodjob:
I don't know how to post a picture; I can if you can tell me how
You can use a free image hosting site like PhotoBucket.Com and upload your pics there. Once pics are there, you can copy the img code and paste it inside your post here. Then hit preview or submit to see the pic.

I've kept the FC reading between 15 and 20 (closer to 20) for the past seven days. However, overnight my FC readings have dropped the following: Sun -5.5, Mon -5.5, Tue -5.5, Wed -5.5, Thu -5.5, Fri -8.5, Sat -3.5. I have also checked pH daily and it wants to drift up to 8.2 or higher. I've added Muriatic acid as recommended by Pool Calculator. The water is clear, each time I check CC it is 0 to .5. but I can't get the FC stabilized. Complete test readings this AM: pH8.2, TA 120, CH 200, CYA 45, FC 10, CC .5. I'm on my 125th 121 oz (8.25%) bottle of bleach. I believe in this system or I wouldn't be clearing KMart,Walmart, and Kroger out of Bleach at 2.67 to 4.00 a bottle. I've had to order a second chlorine test chemicals from TFT and unless I can stop the FC drop, will go through my 3rd this seasonA! If anyone has further advice, I'd appreciate it and thanks for bearing with me.

Thanks to all for the advice. Finished shocking my pool six days ago and have had to add only minimal amt. of bleach since.....took me more than 100 gallons to get where I am, but, as someone told me earlier in this forum, I was just "throwing away" my bleach in my earlier attempts. Now that I see the results, am committed to TFP. AGAIN, THANKS TO ALL FOR THE ADVICE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm having difficulty starting a new topic; so I'll just ask in this one: After a rain that brings water up above skimmer top, is is better to backwash and rinse the extra water out, or just to use the drain feature on the filter?

Larry65 said:
Thanks to all for the advice. Finished shocking my pool six days ago and have had to add only minimal amt. of bleach since.....took me more than 100 gallons to get where I am, but, as someone told me earlier in this forum, I was just "throwing away" my bleach in my earlier attempts. Now that I see the results, am committed to TFP. AGAIN, THANKS TO ALL FOR THE ADVICE.
Good job, Larry :goodjob: :cheers:

Thanks to everyone for all the excellent advice in my battle to take control of my pool. I'm on my second week and everything in the pool looks great. If I hadn't squandered my first 50-60 gallons of bleach, I'd be waaaaay under what I spent last year on pool store and Walmart chemicals. As it is, I'm still under and think I have a pretty good understanding (again, thanks for all the prodding) of my pool. Special thanks to Richard 230, Butterfly, Linen, and Bama Rambler for hanging in there with me. Hopefully, I won't have to call on y'all again, but I wanted to express my appreciation!

I'm back. I'm fixing to open my pool and I'd like a little refresher...bought all new test chemicals last month and am ready to go. I assume I initially shock the pool to 15 ppm and hold it there until I meet the three main criteria: 1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.