Water collecting in seam at top of Intex liner

vthokie67

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2013
Brandy Station, VA
I found a couple posts where folks have dealt with the water that collects in the "V" at the top of the Intex Ultraframe liner, but none offer a semi-permanent low maintenance solution. My pool has only been up for a couple weeks, but I can already feel the trapped water becoming "slimy" and see it becoming a breading ground for mosquitoes and algae.

I thought of drilling small (1/8" or smaller) holes, one at each leg opening, at the base of the "V" draining outward. "Theoretically" this would allow only a small amount of water to be trapped in this area and new water would constantly flush the old out. I don't dare do this before consulting with the experts, so thanks for any advice.

algae-in-top-seams-of-intex-frame-pool-t33344.html?hilit=water%20collects%20intex%20liner
intex-metal-frame-ultra-cleanup-issue-t59396.html?hilit=water%20collects%20intex%20liner

Having received no feedback and figuring I couldn't do too much harm, I went ahead and drilled 11, one at every other leg opening, 7/64" holes through the outside flap at the base of the "V". Next day, the "V" was bone dry - no more slimy trapped water :party:

Only problem I encountered was that the drill bit does not cut cleanly and the hole wants to "close up". The ideal tool would be one that punched a clean hole, like a belt punch. I can see my small irregular holes getting clogged with debris over time so I will be looking to punch them more cleanly. Not nearly as scary as cutting the skimmer hole :shock:

Thanks for the tip!
A hot nail would work,too. Grab a nail slightly smaller than the size hole you would want; a finishing nail or brad. Hold it with a pair of pliers, and heat it up with a torch. Hold the flap so you don't pierce both sides, and just touch it to the spot where you want your drain. Keep some water on hand to cool the nail quickly(shouldn't have to go too far :wink: ) and exercise caution!
I've used this method to "weld" two liter bottles together for minnow traps, and it works like a charm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.