Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I am thinking of adding borates to my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

I am thinking of adding borates to my pool

I am thinking of adding borates to my pool. My ph is constantly going up and I have to add MA at least 2x a week. Any advice on what should my TA level before I start the whole borates process. How should i determine a good Ta. Currently my numbers are

FC: 3
    Tc: 3.1
    Ta: 123
    Ch: 400

13,500 Gunite with Pebble Tec Pool and Spa, Jandy 2hp Stealth epump, Jandy 1.25 hp pump for water feature and bubbles, Jandy CL 460, Polaris 280, DEL Eclipse, Jandy LRZ 400k TF100 Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

I'd get your TA down to 80 ppm or perhaps 70 ppm by following the instructions in the Pool School article Lower Total Alkalinity. You might not need to add borates and technically the borates won't reduce the amount of acid you would need to add. It only reduces the frequency of such acid addition.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Long Beach, CA

Re: I am thinking of adding borates to my pool

I would lower the TA down to 80 ppm and see how your pH reacts. Having the TA at 80 ppm will most likely slow the rate that the pH rises and you might decide you don't want to add borates.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process