Suction Site leak - but fixes itself when it rains....

yukonsc

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2012
Oakton,Va
The are air bubbles in the pump window however when it rains the air bubbles go away. (But does keep the pressure @20psi) I am thinking there is a leak in the plumbing somewhere that when it rain it 'stops' the leak. So the best part - most of the plumbing is under the concrete pool deck. So I hoping to get lucky and dig the ~10' to the pool deck and find the leak (I am thinking of just flooding the trench I create to find the leak.

Also if I move the Jandy from Full Skimmer to Full Skimmer/Main Drain (I have 2 skimmers one has the main drain going through it) bubbles appear I am thinking cavitation from lack of head pressure - or I have a leak on both sides)

Also I am not leaking water (at least it doesnt seem so) - The water level doesn't drop - however I will test it using the bucket method when it stops raining this week.

I am thinking of pressure testing the lines is there an air pressure or suction method w/ the jandy valve installed? Yes I should have done it when I has the whole thing apart this spring.

Thoughts?

How bad is air in the system - digging up the 40+ feet of pool deck is not going to happen.

That the rain "fixes" it makes me think that rainwater is collecting over the air leak and sealing it off. Since it's not the pump basket, any other place in your system this could be happening?

As an aside - everyone ASSUMES the leak is underground and it ALMOST NEVER is.

I just discovered the exact same situation with the massive rain we had here.

My bubbles have become quite bad, but the 3" of rain in 2 hours, led to standing water about 1.5" outside my pool shed. At this time, the bubbles almost entirely disappeared.

All pump/filter connections are protected, and the intake line from the skimmer comes up into the shed through concrete. To me this must mean 100% issue is underground, right?

Is your water level in the pool good? If it's just a little low you can suck air through the skimmer, a stuck weir can cause the same problem.

That water level is fine. No air through the skimmer at all, never has been an issue.

Just in case it was a question though, the water level in my pool remains very high (2.5" above normal at least), but the ground is drying out and the bubbles are returning. nothing else has changed.

I have a leak detection guy coming out next week I just can't imagine another explanation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.