Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction Site leak - but fixes itself when it rains....

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction Site leak - but fixes itself when it rains....

The are air bubbles in the pump window however when it rains the air bubbles go away. (But does keep the pressure @20psi) I am thinking there is a leak in the plumbing somewhere that when it rain it 'stops' the leak. So the best part - most of the plumbing is under the concrete pool deck. So I hoping to get lucky and dig the ~10' to the pool deck and find the leak (I am thinking of just flooding the trench I create to find the leak.

Also if I move the Jandy from Full Skimmer to Full Skimmer/Main Drain (I have 2 skimmers one has the main drain going through it) bubbles appear I am thinking cavitation from lack of head pressure - or I have a leak on both sides)

Also I am not leaking water (at least it doesnt seem so) - The water level doesn't drop - however I will test it using the bucket method when it stops raining this week.

I am thinking of pressure testing the lines is there an air pressure or suction method w/ the jandy valve installed? Yes I should have done it when I has the whole thing apart this spring.

Thoughts?

How bad is air in the system - digging up the 40+ feet of pool deck is not going to happen.
    35000 gallon inground, 2hp Whisperflo, Pentair FNS Plus, Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Suction Site leak - but fixes itself when it rains....

Is your pump exposed to the weather?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No its covered and dry - well maybe the occasional rain drop

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

That the rain "fixes" it makes me think that rainwater is collecting over the air leak and sealing it off. Since it's not the pump basket, any other place in your system this could be happening?

As an aside - everyone ASSUMES the leak is underground and it ALMOST NEVER is.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know. I have replaced all the gasket already and all new valves. Pump is dry - I just went a looked again. I'd love it to be above ground. Digging up earth doesn't sound fun...

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I have replaced all the gasket already and all new valves.
    Ricahrd320 says, "the first thing that breaks is the last thing you fixed." If you have been doing repairs, they should all be reexamined
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

You could try "garden hose rain". Starting with items you just fixed, run water over the valve/repair and see if it solves the bubble problem.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I just discovered the exact same situation with the massive rain we had here.

My bubbles have become quite bad, but the 3" of rain in 2 hours, led to standing water about 1.5" outside my pool shed. At this time, the bubbles almost entirely disappeared.

All pump/filter connections are protected, and the intake line from the skimmer comes up into the shed through concrete. To me this must mean 100% issue is underground, right?
    16x32 vinyl
    80,000L chlorine
    21" Hayward sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Is your water level in the pool good? If it's just a little low you can suck air through the skimmer, a stuck weir can cause the same problem.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

10. Back To Top    #10

That water level is fine. No air through the skimmer at all, never has been an issue.

Just in case it was a question though, the water level in my pool remains very high (2.5" above normal at least), but the ground is drying out and the bubbles are returning. nothing else has changed.

I have a leak detection guy coming out next week I just can't imagine another explanation.
    16x32 vinyl
    80,000L chlorine
    21" Hayward sand filter