Polaris 180 dilemma

May 19, 2013
Weddington, NC
I have a Polaris 180 that's probably 20 years old. I noticed that it was running on it's side ( the side with the 2 wheels down)
I have already replaced the 2 plastic drive wheels and bearings thinking that the gears were slipping and then noticed that my reverse valve mechanism was shot. OK, so I replaced that also.
It's still running on it's side like something it weighing that side down. :?
Is there some sort or ballast inside or maybe the hose floats are not keeping the line raised???
I'm stumped at this point....

If it's running on its side in a straight line then you may want to check that the main jet that shoots into the bag does not have a blockage somewhere. That jet not only creates the vacuum that sucks debris into the bag, but it also creates the downward force that allows the cleaner to maintain contact with the pool surface, even when it's climbing the walls. If it's running on its side in a circle, you may want to check your hose. After several years, the hose loses its elasticity and can develop a permanent bend to one side or the other. When this happens, no amount of adjustment to the direction of the rear nozzle will make any difference. You can try to fix the house by laying it out straight in the sun for a few hours, but you may still need to rotate it to one side or the other to keep the "bend" from influencing the direction of the cleaner. In other words, rotate the end of the hose where it connects to the Polaris so that it bends to the rear, instead of the left or right side.

Jim,
I replaced a 10' section of hose from the backup valve to the Polaris...the only "blockage" that I saw was a frog that was hiding inside the polaris :)
He popped his head out of it and I fished him out. & let him go.
I will check for any more blockages to the bottom jet and might also try adjusting the back jet angle to see if that makes any difference.

I just got mine and it was running on the right side also. I moved the float on the cleaner closer in and aim the jet up and to the left slightly. That seemed to straighten it out. What is the best bag to put on, the K14?

Did you check the ballast float to see if there was water in it. It tends to crack with age and fill with water. Just pull it off the back of the Polaris and shake it. If you hear water in there that is the problem. That will cause it to lay on it's side like in most cases.

mrdgvb1 said:
Did you check the ballast float to see if there was water in it. It tends to crack with age and fill with water. Just pull it off the back of the Polaris and shake it. If you hear water in there that is the problem. That will cause it to lay on it's side like in most cases.

Yup!...that was the last thing that I noticed and probably the cause of my problem all along.... :(
I will be replacing that as soon as the part comes in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.