Pool Solar Panels

Jun 9, 2013
I have an above ground pool and it is 18 round by 52 high and I have 2 solar heat panels that TOTAL 2 feet by 20 feet. I was told that was enough to heat my pool. Is it enough and how long should it be in the sun each day to work like it should work? Also, I have it hooked up to a divert er so I can shut the solar panels off and just let the water run from the filter to the pool. My other question is if I let my solar panels run even when no sun is out or it is raining will it make my pool colder? Thanks for any help.

Mark :-D

There are a number of factors that determine the number of solar panels you need and how much output to expect from them, this includes your location, how they are mounted, how long you want to extend your swim season, etc. Having said that for significant improvement in extending your swim season you need something over 50% coverage in panel size vs. surface area of your pool, and maybe as much as 100% + panel area in some locations. In your case you have 40 sq feet of solar panel and a 255 sq ft pool, so while you will get some heat out of it, don't expect a big change

Just for comparison, I live in Tucson Az, with 100+ temps much of the summer and I have solar panels equal to 80% of my pool surface. Not often, but occasionally, I wish it were 100%.

I have two 2x20 footers with the exact same pool as yours. I've come to the conclusion that I need at least two more and an automated valve to realize any kind of extended swimming. When the air temp is below the water temp and it's cloudy it's not worth running unless you have an automated system.

I plan on hooking up one more 2x20 this year. I don't expect to extend the season but it should help temps recover quicker from crappy weather. With 80 sq ft of panel I'm probably gaining 1.5 degrees under ideal conditions. With the lousy weather these last few years, I need at least two more and automation just to get a decent season let alone an extended one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.