Need guidance: pump/skimmer basket cleaning

May 20, 2013
Millbrae, CA
I'm looking to cut the current pool guy out of my monthly bills so trying to learn the ropes of cleaning out baskets to keep things flowing well.

Skimmer basket: I just remove the cover, pick up the basket and as much debris as possible. Then just replace. Anything else to it?

Pump basket: I have a Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump and a Pentair Clean & Clear 320 catridge filter both at pool level. What would be my process to clean the basket? As I understand it:

- Shut power off to the system at the fuse box. Or put the pump in "Time Out" mode.
- Remove pump lid, empty basket. Replace basket and lid
- Open release valve on top of filter to fill pump back up
- Close release valve
- Replace pump lid
- Turn system back on
- Let system prime
- Release filter valve until shoots water out

Can someone review that list and tell me what to add or remove? I'm sure I've missed something!

Everything sounds correct. I would assume there is just an off button on the pump. And I don't think you need to open the filter relief valve to fill the pump. Just put the lid on (lube the o ring), fire up the pump, then release the air.

That pump is plenty powerful to likely never struggle to prime. Just put the lid on and turn it on. I would not worry about filling anything unless the pump was 10+ feet above the pool water. It should prime in a couple minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.