air leak somewhere

May 9, 2012
yuma AZ
Well I got new equipment and decided to get my pool back running got a ta60 d with a dual speed superflo pump and intermatic box. I have a two valve setup without anything else installed problem is I turn the pump on and get strong suction at first when vacuuming then it peters out to nothing .while I'm running I will get huge air bubbles coming out of the return jets all the plumbing above ground is new and I cant find any leaks there or around the pump or the filter so I'm wondering if I should just start digging up lines we had problems with Palm tree roots once before thats all I can think of to do ?? heres my setup i can get more pics if needed

It sounds like you might simply be plugging the filter. What psi did you start with when filter was clean and what psi does it show when it "peters out to nothing"?

Have you backwashed? Rinsed?

The reason I wouldn't think it was simply clogged is if i just leave it running without hooking the vac hose to it it still does the same thing runs like a champ strong suction then the big bubbles I mean enough to lift and churn water then it peters out

The best option would be to actually use pool valves (like the Neverlube). Cheaper to use a single 3-way valve than two 2-way valves.

The PVC ball valves tend to have a short life ... I would think in Yuma they may crack and fail pretty quick.

Ok I changed both valves to try and narrow the problem and im thinking its on the vac side with the skimmer on the pump strainer is full of water to the top maybe a couple lil air bubbles in there but thats it now with the vac side all you can see is turbulence it never fills completely like the skimmer and the second you turn it off the pump strainer empties and if you put your hand in front of the port to test suction it pretty much kills the suction

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.