Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: air leak somewhere

1. Back To Top    #1

air leak somewhere

Well I got new equipment and decided to get my pool back running got a ta60 d with a dual speed superflo pump and intermatic box. I have a two valve setup without anything else installed problem is I turn the pump on and get strong suction at first when vacuuming then it peters out to nothing .while I'm running I will get huge air bubbles coming out of the return jets all the plumbing above ground is new and I cant find any leaks there or around the pump or the filter so I'm wondering if I should just start digging up lines we had problems with Palm tree roots once before thats all I can think of to do ?? heres my setup i can get more pics if needed
    15000 gal inground plaster 8ft deep kidney shape

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: air leak somewhere

Start with the obvious, pump lid o ring is lubed? The drain plugs on the pump are sealed? Try putting shaving cream on the suction side joints.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It sounds like you might simply be plugging the filter. What psi did you start with when filter was clean and what psi does it show when it "peters out to nothing"?

Have you backwashed? Rinsed?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The reason I wouldn't think it was simply clogged is if i just leave it running without hooking the vac hose to it it still does the same thing runs like a champ strong suction then the big bubbles I mean enough to lift and churn water then it peters out

5. Back To Top    #5

What does your current equipment pad look like? Do you still have those old brass valves?

Are you always seeing air in the pump basket?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

That is the current equipment minus the single timer I was thinking of starting with the brass valves and replacing with some sort of ball valve instead of the screw style

7. Back To Top    #7

The best option would be to actually use pool valves (like the Neverlube). Cheaper to use a single 3-way valve than two 2-way valves.

The PVC ball valves tend to have a short life ... I would think in Yuma they may crack and fail pretty quick.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok I changed both valves to try and narrow the problem and im thinking its on the vac side with the skimmer on the pump strainer is full of water to the top maybe a couple lil air bubbles in there but thats it now with the vac side all you can see is turbulence it never fills completely like the skimmer and the second you turn it off the pump strainer empties and if you put your hand in front of the port to test suction it pretty much kills the suction

9. Back To Top    #9

That does sound like a problem on the vac side, so you are getting closer to figuring it out
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

So am I right in thinking I should just dig up the vac line I mean I wouldn't think its any of the other pipes or tank seal since the skimmer runs through the same pipes does this sound right

11. Back To Top    #11

If everything runs fine when the Vac line is closed, then the air leak must be in the Vac line (between the pool and the Vac line valve).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks guess its time to start digging