Do high chlorine levels always make false pH readings?

Jul 8, 2011
All that I've been reading in the Pool School suggests that high chlorine levels can create false high pH levels. My FC is 20 (CC - 0), and my pH is reading 7.6, which doesn't seem "high" to me. Does pH always read high when chlorine levels are where mine are? If so, should I assume I actually have pH that could be too low, and therefore reducing the efficacy of my sanitizer? (My pH was 7.2 before I shocked).

Thanks in advance. Everyone here has been so helpful!

I have found that pH seems to be pretty accurate as long as the FC/CYA ratio is not too high and the test is read right away. If your pH was 7.2 before shocking and you used sodium hypochlorite, then your pH would not go lower, and would not be too low.

However, pH can be affected by high chlorine levels and it is good to be careful about trusting the results. Wait for the chlorine to get below 10 ppm and retest.

Reactions: RhondaF
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.