Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown spots on plaster pool -- caused by lime pellets?

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown spots on plaster pool -- caused by lime pellets?

My landscaper just spread pelletized lime on my lawn and carelessly spread quite a bit INTO our plaster-finished pool. Initially I thought it was dirt from edging/trimming, but then noticed it had not gone away.

First question: can lime cause brown spots in my plaster finish?

Second question: how can I fix it?

I've tried brushing with a nylon pool bruhsh, but that didn't work. I since tried a steel pool brush and that seemed to help (somewhat) bit it was getteing too dark to really tell if it made it better, or worse. I'm concerned that repeated, significant brushing in these areas with a steel brush may end up causing more damage to the plaster than the lime (apparently) caused.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,
    John in Massachusetts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brown spots on plaster pool -- caused by lime pellets?

Welcome to TFP!

Any chance it was metals? Try to see if vitamin c lightens the strain.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Any possibility he also fertilized with an iron content fertilizer? Scotts, not to single them out but just as an example, sells Turf Builder with 2% Iron. Many others manufacturers do too.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just spoke with my landscaper and he used a product made by Solu-Cal called Enhanced Calcitic Lime. Here is a link to the product web page: http://www.solu-cal.com/media/pdf/produ ... 0label.pdf

The only "metal" I recognize on the label is magnesium. I don't know if magnesium could cause these brown stains?

I'm also uploading a photo of the chemical composition from the bag.

In one reply, you mention using Vitamin C to eliminate the stains. Can you please direct me to a page that tells me what product to buy and how to apply it to the bottom of my pool?

Thanks,

John[attachment=0:3deaoobx]Pelletized Lime label from Dave M.jpg[/attachment:3deaoobx]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Any vitamin C tablet (that you would normally eat). Either crush some up in a sock of something and set them on the stain, or just rub the tablet on the stain for a few minutes and see if the stain lightens.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

UPDATE:

I noticed my pool was developing pink algae, so I treated both the pink algae and the brown spots with lithum-based chlorine (powder/bags) yesterday. It seems as if both the pink algae AND the brown spots caused by the lime pellets have disappeared!

While I (think I) understand why the pink algae disappeared, I have no idea why the lithium eliminated the brown spots, but I wanted to share it with you so others with similar problems might benefit.

I'll let you know if things change.

Thanks for all your help!

John