Intex Sand Filter Timer

Jul 15, 2012
Anyone know exactly how the timer on the intex sand filter works? If I set it on 4, does it run for 4 hours, then stop, and then turn on after 4 hours again and continue in that pattern?

If it operates in the same manner as the Intex 635t Cartridge pump, it will run for 4 hours, then off until about the same time the next day, then run for 4 hours again, and so on.

4 hours each day, starting about the same time each day as you started it the first day.

dccordell said:
If it operates in the same manner as the Intex 635t Cartridge pump, it will run for 4 hours, then off until about the same time the next day, then run for 4 hours again, and so on.

4 hours each day, starting about the same time each day as you started it the first day.

Thanks!

Just a follow up question to this thread.

I have a grey 2650 pump. If the timer is set to run for two hours at the same time every day and then one day I want to run the pump more than what the timer is set for and I turn the pump to on, does the pump still pump water back to it's original timer setting the next day?

How do you reset the timer so the pump will come on at a different time?

Thanks

So mine is set to run for 4 hours each morning. Lets say this evening I want to vacuum, so I turn it on manually. Once I switch the switch back to automatic, it will turn on and run for however long the timer is set for, starting at that time, rather than back to the time I wanted it to run in the AM right? Seems kind of like a pain.

Yes, that's what I am wondering. I have a solar panel which I am about to install. If the panel is generating heat, then I will want to run the pump. So this will throw the timer out? Seems mickey mouse if that's the case.

I am typing this out on my Android, my apologies if there are any errors in the post.

The pump timer is a pain. It will come on again approximately 24 hours after you turn it on by switching it to the timer. So if you turn it on using the timer at 8am and it runs for 4 hours and then you vacuum later that night, say 6pm by switching it on and then turn it back to the timer when you are finished, it will run for the amount of time it was set at that time and then come on again approximately 24 hours after that time, or around 6pm the next day. I contemplated connecting it to an external timer (actually a z-wave device) and leaving it always on and letting the timer run it, but I have had issues with the GFI on the pump tripping if our power goes out. So because of that, every time the external timer would shut the pump off then the GFI would trip and it won't come back on. I have been contemplating cutting of the GFI on the cord and just using the timer plugged in to a GFI outlet, but the timer I have won't fit with the box that the GFI outlet is in so I would need to do some rewiring (in which I would put a dedicated circuit to it). We just bought a vacant lot and are going to be building a new house so I don't really want to spend any time/money doing anything now when I will have a new house that we are going to have wired with the pool in mind, so I'm just dealing with the annoying timer for this summer and set a reminder on my phone to turn the pump back to the timer so I don't forget whenever I vacuum. Next summer will hopefully be fully automated, if I get my way :wink:

Believe it or not, in most areas of the US, that behavior of the GFCI is per the electrical code. Non-hardwired GFCI devices must trip when power is interupted. I installed a GFCI outlet for our pool so I intend to remove the Intex one as well.

wozzukes said:
The pump timer is a pain. It will come on again approximately 24 hours after you turn it on by switching it to the timer. So if you turn it on using the timer at 8am and it runs for 4 hours and then you vacuum later that night, say 6pm by switching it on and then turn it back to the timer when you are finished, it will run for the amount of time it was set at that time and then come on again approximately 24 hours after that time, or around 6pm the next day. I contemplated connecting it to an external timer (actually a z-wave device) and leaving it always on and letting the timer run it, but I have had issues with the GFI on the pump tripping if our power goes out. So because of that, every time the external timer would shut the pump off then the GFI would trip and it won't come back on. I have been contemplating cutting of the GFI on the cord and just using the timer plugged in to a GFI outlet, but the timer I have won't fit with the box that the GFI outlet is in so I would need to do some rewiring (in which I would put a dedicated circuit to it). We just bought a vacant lot and are going to be building a new house so I don't really want to spend any time/money doing anything now when I will have a new house that we are going to have wired with the pool in mind, so I'm just dealing with the annoying timer for this summer and set a reminder on my phone to turn the pump back to the timer so I don't forget whenever I vacuum. Next summer will hopefully be fully automated, if I get my way :wink:

Looking at your pool set up, you have the exact same as me (16 ft, 2650 pump, salt system). My GFCI tripped just the other day, so the salt water system alarm was going off (no flow). It seems as if the best way to filter and run your saltwater generator is by turning it on and off manually with out the timer. My buddy is an electrical engineer, I should get him to install an external timer. I'll trade him a super big gulp size glass of Merlot and let him figure everything out (and do the work). After the job is done...that is! :cheers:

Were seriously considering a fairly large inground pool as we are on 3/4 of an acre. Plan your new house with a larger pool possibly down the road! This is just a trial run on a smaller scale for us. I would think that a new inground setup should be trouble free in theory, with the way things have evolved with swimming pools over the recent years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BlueCorn said:
Believe it or not, in most areas of the US, that behavior of the GFCI is per the electrical code. Non-hardwired GFCI devices must trip when power is interupted. I installed a GFCI outlet for our pool so I intend to remove the Intex one as well.

I think you can have your GFCI in your breaker panel already and not at your outlet? That's what I have been told anyway. Here in Canada anyway!

Ours really only trips when the power goes out, which usually tends to happen when we're away camping for the weekend. My dad is an electrician, so I trade him computer help for wiring help. :wink:

We are on an acre now, and will be on 2 acres at the new place so we will have plenty of space. I had a hard enough time convincing the hubby to go with the Intex though, so I highly doubt I will ever get an inground. I do hope for a more permanent solution at the new place though, but probably not until the Intex needs replacing. Since we already have a spare liner (had a major leak when we first got it and got a replacement under the warranty but then were able to find and patch the holes so now we have an extra liner) it will be a few years before we get to that point!

MattE71 said:
BlueCorn said:

I think you can have your GFCI in your breaker panel already and not at your outlet? That's what I have been told anyway. Here in Canada anyway!

Correct, and the panel mounted GFCI performs the same as the hardwired outlet in a power-out condition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.