Pool scaling or something else

Jun 9, 2013
Hey guys, I know it's my first post but I've been an avid pool user/owner for the past 7 years and I've run into a bit of a problem I can't quite identify. I'm hoping maybe you guys can help me troubleshoot this and find a solution. My name is Kody, btw. Nice to meet you all.

Let me give you my pool specs:

- 20 x 40
- 27,500 gal
- vinyl liner
- sand filtration
- Cl = 2.5
- pH = 7.3~7.5
- Alkalinity = 80ppm
- Hardness = 175ppm
(these were tested about 15 minutes ago from posting)

My problem:

We just cleared up some algae that was in the pool. I've done this before and everything was going accordingly. When I was vacuuming on waste I noticed on the walls and bottom of my pool that there were places that weren't being vacuumed up. These places were white and the water still looked a bit cloudy even though I could see in the deep end. The water was not sparkling. I tried to brush these places with my pool brush, but to my surprise it did not become suspended in the water when I brushed the surface of it. I decided to get in the pool and feel it for myself. It had a gritty, sandpaper feel to it and it was almost impossible to remove by hand. This coat of gritty substance was coated more heavily in the deep end and wasn't as prominent in the shallow end. I've been doing moderate research on what it could be and I'm just not sure. My calcium hardness is just a little bit below the recommended range but I've only seen where too much calcium can cause this scaling to form. Does anyone have any more insight to help me clear this stuff up?

Thanks a million! :mrgreen:

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol: Sure sounds like calcium scale. Do you have a pic you can share?
I knew I should have taken one earlier. It's night here and would do no good. I'm almost positive it's calcium scaling. I wasn't sure if a hardness reading of 175ppm would cause that or not. I'm pretty sure it isn't mineral scaling since this is a vinyl liner pool. I can have a picture taken tomorrow to be 100% sure.

Here are my pictures I took this morning. It may be hard to see the slight discoloration but maybe not.

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 69
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 64
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 64
You (or the guys who opened the pool) didn't, by chance, broadcast "shock" powder in the pool, did you? That might be a bleached liner. Grittiness sort of points to scale, though. I'd keep pH down at the low end for a week or so and see if it softens up any.

Richard320 said:
You (or the guys who opened the pool) didn't, by chance, broadcast "shock" powder in the pool, did you? That might be a bleached liner. Grittiness sort of points to scale, though. I'd keep pH down at the low end for a week or so and see if it softens up any.
A year ago when our pool had algae we diluted turbo shock, introduced in to the pool over the return, and some of the shock became piled in the corner causing it to bleach. We learned our mistake on that one. However, the other spot on the bottom is not bleaching, it has a gritty feel.

What would be the best way to lower our pH? It was reading 7.2 this morning.

KodyJ44 said:
Richard320 said:
A year ago when our pool had algae we diluted turbo shock, introduced in to the pool over the return, and some of the shock became piled in the corner causing it to bleach. We learned our mistake on that one. However, the other spot on the bottom is not bleaching, it has a gritty feel.

What would be the best way to lower our pH? It was reading 7.2 this morning.
Wait for it to rise to 7.4 or so and use muriatic acid to lower it to 7.2 again.

Scale doesn't grow overnight, it won't dissolve overnight, either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.