new water- just getting started

drkirk

Jun 3, 2013
Phoenix, az
Initially, thank you for this forum. It has been great getting an education from experience in manner that is geared toward self help processes. My question is in the getting started process. I just drained my approx 8000 gal pebble tec pool. New readings are: FC .02, TC .1, Ca+ 322, CYA 0, TA 128, pH 7.8, Diss solids 1000, phosphates 20. Been told to add the CYA @ 13 fl oz every couple of hours up to a quarter gal, then shock. Your advice?

drkirk
Welcome to TFP! :wave:
drkirk said:
New readings are: FC .02, TC .1, Ca+ 322, CYA 0, TA 128, pH 7.8, Diss solids 1000, phosphates 20.
What are you using to test with, or are these results from a pool store? Some of these numbers look a little suspect (CYA and TA are usually in multiples of 10 and FC & TC are usually in increments of 0.5 ppm). BTW, Dissolved solids and phosphates are irrelevant, so don't worry about those.

drkirk said:
Been told to add the CYA @ 13 fl oz every couple of hours up to a quarter gal, then shock. Your advice?
This sounds like it came from a pool store. Agree you need to add CYA, but would suggest using the Pool Calculator to figure the dosage. Also, is your pool manually chlorinated or do you have a SWG? If manually chlorinated, I would aim for an initial CYA of 30 ppm. For your 8,000 gallon pool, this would require 32 oz. by weight of granular stabilizer/CYA. If SWG, then aim for an initial dose of 60 ppm (64 oz by weight of stabilizer/CYA for your pool). Suggest adding the CYA to an old sock, tie it off, and place it in the skimmer. It will take several days for the CYA to dissolve and up to a week before it will register in test results.

As for FC...until we figure out how you are testing, I would add an initial dose of between 3-4 ppm chlorine to keep the pool clean. Using 8.25% liquid bleach, you would add between 36 - 48 oz. You will need to test FC levels daily since FC is consumed by sunlight and needs to be replenished. Also, shocking is a process and not a 1-time addition of a "shock" product as the pool stores would have you believe. You may not need to shock unless test results dictate the need for it. Since you just filled the pool, it is too early to determine that.

I would suggest reading all Pool School articles, but would start with these: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Basic Pool Care Schedule, Recommended Pool Chemicals, How to Chlorinate Your Pool, Chlorine CYA Chart, Shocking Your Pool.

If you don't already have one, you will need a good test kit to properly manage your pool. Here is a comparison of the recommended Test Kits

Finally, couple of things to help us help you...
  • 1. Please include the state and nearest city in which you live in your profile. Your climate is important to the advice you receive. By doing this, it will appear in all your posts without you having to enter it each time.
    2. Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.
Here's how to do both of the above: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

Thanks.
Sample tested by Leslie's. Pool is in Phoenix, AZ, in ground, manually chlorinated. I have an older (date unknown) leslie's deluxe pool care dpd test kit. PH tested the same as what leslie's tested today, so maybe some accuracy in general. I am missing some of the comparison charts, it seems.

Welcome! :handwave:

My advice is to get either a new test kit or add the FAS-DPD test you're missing from your kit.

I believe the high CH reading Leslie's gave you, which is why I recommend you get a speedstir. The CH test, even when done with a 10 ml sample, takes a long, long time when you have high CH, and it's hard to get an accurate reading by swirling. Expect it to go up every week as you top off water lost to evaporation.

All the stuff you need can be ordered from http://tftestkits.net.

Don't let Leslies sell you clarifiers, algaecides, phosphate removers, or any powdered forms of chlorine. With the kind of evaporation you'll have in AZ, you'll get a bad buildup of things you don't want really fast. Just get the CYA level up to 50ish, maintain pH and FC with acid and bleach, and you'll be fine.

Ok, so added about 15oz of the cya. Waited 2 days, then added 1 jug liquid chlorine. No visible Chlorine on test. Water still cloudy, lightish green and gives everyone an itchy feeling on their skin. Have to take another sample to get tested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.