Finally!

AZLynn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Tucson, AZ
I've been working on my pool for weeks now and it's paying off. I just got the Taylor 2006 in the mail on Friday so I've been winging it with the OTO kit trying to get my TA down to 80 (I have a SWG).

Current numbers:

FC: 6.6
CC: 0
TC: 6.6
TA: 80
PH: 7.5
CYA: 60 - need a little more, but it I'm not 100% sure it's not higher. I've never been clear on the whole dot thing. Is the dot supposed to be totally gone? In the sun or shade? if totally gone, then it's 60. If it's still there, but you have to look really hard for it, I'm probably closer to 70.

TA was 130 a couple weeks ago. I was beginning to think I was never going to get it down to 80. I'm going to bring the FC up to shock level just because Friday night I had CC of .6. I'm not completely convinced it's now 0. I added an entire gallon of bleach so maybe that was enough to get rid of it. I used the 25 ml option so I could test down to .2. The water looked clear, but when I added a drop for good measure, it did appear to be a touch clearer so I'm suspicious of the 0. I think it might be closer to .1.

I want to add Borates next. I've been using dry acid because I hate muriatic acid, but I think I'm going to have to deal with it for the Borates. Using the dry acid is probably why it took so long to bring the TA down, but the stuff is just awful.

I've been running the pump (Intex 2650 sand filter) 24 hours a day for a week now and running my Intex SWG for the maximum of 12 hours a day starting at 7am. I know that during shock I shouldn't run it, but I wasn't sure how much of the TC was CC without the Taylor test so I figured more was better in this case.

I started with a swamp because my cover blew off multiple times over the winter and finally gave up the ghost (ripped) about 3 months ago.

I think I have gotten all of the leaves out and know I have gotten almost all of the dirt off the bottom, but there is still a little more to go.

Just wanted to share and say thanks for all the knowledge in this site. I think I would have given up long ago without it. This is my second year with an Intex ultra frame 16' X 48" pool. I had some issues late in the season last year and just gave up. That's probably another contributor to the swamp upon opening, but I had the original cartridge filter that came with the pool and it just couldn't keep up. Now that I have the Taylor test, larger pump/filter, thru wall skimmer and knowledge from last year (and you guys), I think this year will be awesome. :whoot:

There are more detailed test instructions in a sticky in the testing forum.

The CYA test should be done outside with back to the sun and the dot should be completely gone.

Thanks Jason. The pictures on the Taylor website the other post refers to make it even easier to understand.

CYA is definitely still a little low. My pool is in full Arizona sun all day so having enough CYA is imperative.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.