VA2AZ

Mar 4, 2013
Avondale AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Saline Generating Systems Breeze 540
I have a water softener for my house, and it supplies all outlets, except the irrigation system. It is softened with potassium chloride vs sodium chloride(personal age and health reasons). It is used to provide the proper level in the pool, as well as supplementing after a backwash. Does this potassium softened water cause any challenges with chemical balance in my SWG pool. Now that I have the CYA lowered to acceptable levels, all readings are good, and water remains crystal clear. Feels great in and out of the pool. Wife has dry skin issues and I have RA issues, which are relieved with this pool.
Comments please.

No, it is not a problem for a SWG, but it is important to have enough Calcium in your pool to ensure the integrity of your plaster. I assume you must have some hard water in the pool since you live where a softener is needed, so hopefully that isn't a concern.

Can you post those "all readings are good" numbers here? T/A is also important for SWG's to perform at their best.

duraleigh said:
CH - 400 is at the higher end of what is best. How much of your pool water is softened water? The CH should be much lower if you are going through the softener.

Either that, the fill water CH is very high....or there is very little softener water actually used.

OP: It might be prudent to run a CH check on your softener sometime just for grins. You may find it not working well, or leaking hardness through at, or way before the end of its run. Do you own or lease/rent the softener? Just curious more than anything as I got the impression you were using a LOT of softened water. Now, if your fill water is 800 PPM CH, the picture is a little different. :mrgreen:

CH is a little high as Dave said. Your numbers look pretty nice, but I would bump the FC up a little.

Original fill was Mar 2012. Hard water. Salt and SWG added at that time. Softener was added to house water Aug 2012. I use a flex irrigation hose off the softener spigot to add water as required due to evaporation, and replenish as required due to back flush. So, the amount is minimal that I add, but just wanted to make sure, that sooner or later, a drain and refill is not going to be a challenge with the potassium chloride vs Sodium chloride.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.