Changing how I backwash

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi. I would like to change how I backwash my pool. The current setup that my equipment has it running the pipe under ground and it floods a portion of river rock on the side of my house. The water then runs out the side of my yard towards the street. The problem with this is that it floods my neighbor's front yard mostly.

I would like to change it to where I add a hose to the pipe and then I can direct where I discharge the water (either directly on the street or into the drain). Here's a pic of my setup.

2013-06-08180341.jpg

Can I just cut the pipe and add a hose w/ a fastener to it? Is it just that simple?

Should be. I did the same thing, mine outlet straight into my yard and I repiped it directly to a drain.

I'd leave the sight glass, as that is a nice option to let you know there is no water leaking past your valve in normal recirculating operation.

The collapsible backwash hose probably won't fit directly over your existing pipe but you'll be able to find an adapter at any home improvement center that's slip/weld on one end (meant to solvent weld to your pipe) and has a barb style on the other end, meant to accept your backwash hose. You'll probably also need a hose clamp to keep the hose on the barb. Since your sight glass and elbow are right next to each other, you'll probably have to cut the pipe a little ways after it heads down from the elbow.

The Sears Hardware store by me carries this hose. I have even hit it with a weed whacker and still has no leaks. I picked up about 30 feet of it, and it is the best thing I could find next to an actual fire hose, which I also have but haven't needed. The fire house in my area was replacing some of their older hoses and had 50 foot sections of hose that I now have.

http://www.sears.com/samar-water-di...M7683516002?prdNo=14&blockNo=14&blockType=G14

They always pop. Or spring leaks. I probably go through 3 per season.
If you dont have them rolled out perfectly, any kinks risk an 'explosion'. :grrrr:

You can stretch it out perfectly and run some hose water through it to expand it a bit when new, and then it will still pop :)

The sears one looks interesting, but I dont trust it enough to pay that kind of money. I just buy them super cheap whenever they break. Usually after the first few weeks of summer when the pool is sparkling clean, I am not really backwashing anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.