Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing how I backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing how I backwash

Hi. I would like to change how I backwash my pool. The current setup that my equipment has it running the pipe under ground and it floods a portion of river rock on the side of my house. The water then runs out the side of my yard towards the street. The problem with this is that it floods my neighbor's front yard mostly.

I would like to change it to where I add a hose to the pipe and then I can direct where I discharge the water (either directly on the street or into the drain). Here's a pic of my setup.

Can I just cut the pipe and add a hose w/ a fastener to it? Is it just that simple?
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing how I backwash

Should be. I did the same thing, mine outlet straight into my yard and I repiped it directly to a drain.

I'd leave the sight glass, as that is a nice option to let you know there is no water leaking past your valve in normal recirculating operation.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep. They sell backwash hoses at Lowes.

Word to the wise: unroll it get any kinks out before you open the valve. They inflate so fast you won't have time to shut it off before it pops.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I didn't see it anywhere in pool school, but what is the recommendation for backwashing speed?

5. Back To Top    #5

A somewhat high speed, likely around 2500+rpm or so should work.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

The collapsible backwash hose probably won't fit directly over your existing pipe but you'll be able to find an adapter at any home improvement center that's slip/weld on one end (meant to solvent weld to your pipe) and has a barb style on the other end, meant to accept your backwash hose. You'll probably also need a hose clamp to keep the hose on the barb. Since your sight glass and elbow are right next to each other, you'll probably have to cut the pipe a little ways after it heads down from the elbow.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought, what I thought was a decent hose on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OT ... UTF8&psc=1), and after only about 4 uses it's ripped in the middle. I thought I was pretty careful about pulling the hose out and keeping it straight. Could backwashing on high RPM's cause it?

8. Back To Top    #8

The Sears Hardware store by me carries this hose. I have even hit it with a weed whacker and still has no leaks. I picked up about 30 feet of it, and it is the best thing I could find next to an actual fire hose, which I also have but haven't needed. The fire house in my area was replacing some of their older hoses and had 50 foot sections of hose that I now have.

http://www.sears.com/samar-water-dis...&blockType=G14
    22,300 gallon Inground Vinyl Liner pool
    Hayward DE 3620 filter Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed Pump
    1 Skimmer, 2 Main Drains, 2 Returns, 2 step Jets, 8 ft x 3ft waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

They always pop. Or spring leaks. I probably go through 3 per season.
    If you dont have them rolled out perfectly, any kinks risk an 'explosion'.

You can stretch it out perfectly and run some hose water through it to expand it a bit when new, and then it will still pop

The sears one looks interesting, but I dont trust it enough to pay that kind of money. I just buy them super cheap whenever they break. Usually after the first few weeks of summer when the pool is sparkling clean, I am not really backwashing anyway.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Yea that wasn't the price I paid. The sears store had it by the foot, not sure what the actual price was, but I'll repost if I'm there again soon.
    22,300 gallon Inground Vinyl Liner pool
    Hayward DE 3620 filter Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed Pump
    1 Skimmer, 2 Main Drains, 2 Returns, 2 step Jets, 8 ft x 3ft waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

I just bought 50' of that 4" black corrugated pipe at lowes and just roll it up afterwards and hide it behind my shed
    25,000 Gal, Plaster, IG, Auto CL, Waterfall, IntelFlo VS Pump, Dolphin DX6 Robot, TF 100 test kit, Merlin Safety Cover Lots of Trees!, South Eastern Pa