Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Doing my shock process

1. Back To Top    #1

Doing my shock process

Hi again,

My last thread had too much going on in it and i'm doing the shock process now so I'm starting a fresh thread.

Here were my results 6/6

TC - 0 I honestly couldnt even see ANY yellow
    CC - --- I didnt do any other chlorine tests since TC was 0, or was that wrong of me?
    pH - 6.8
    TA - 45-50
    CH - ~80
    CYA - 0
    Salt - ~700ppm
    6/7 at night I added stabilizer & borax, then later added 3/4 gallon 10% Chlorine.

6/8 Morning my results were

pH - 7.2
    FC - 4.5
    CC - 1
    TC - 5.5
    CYA - (Should be 30ppm)

After this I added a gallon of 10% chlorine and was gone all day for Racing.

6/9 Today the pool is the clearest it has been yet (thanks again TFP!!)

My results were the same

pH - 7.2
    FC - 4.5
    CC - 1
    TC - 5.5

It seems that I need to add more Chlorine to the pool and get it up to shock levels according to the chart? I have the SWG off and unplugged

Aaron
    26' Octagon, IG Pool, ~16gal, 5-5 1/2' deep, Liner, Sand Filter, Polaris Autoclear salt system, 3/4hp Pump, Pool Blaster Max Vacuum, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Doing my shock process

Nice work and yep, bump the FC up to about 12 and hold it there (as best you can) until you pass the three tests that determine the end of the shock process. See red lines in my sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it alright to vacuum my pool during this process? I usually vacuum on the waste setting so ill be losing and filling a little water. Now that everything is clearer I can see more dirt on the bottom. I brushed it all up yesterday but a lot of it settled at the bottom again.

My current results are

FC - 7
    CC - .5
    TC 7.5

I need to go grab some more bleach and get it up to 12 again.
    Aaron
    26' Octagon, IG Pool, ~16gal, 5-5 1/2' deep, Liner, Sand Filter, Polaris Autoclear salt system, 3/4hp Pump, Pool Blaster Max Vacuum, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have junk on the bottom of the pool (any color junk... black, green,white) it will benefit you to vacuum to waste, assuming you have cost effective, clean water for re-fill.

I would vacuum before you bleach/chlorinate.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    If you have junk on the bottom of the pool (any color junk... black, green,white) it will benefit you to vacuum to waste, assuming you have cost effective, clean water for re-fill.

^^yep, me too.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by techguy

Thanks.

I vacuumed and then had to refill some water. (was below/bottom of skimmer, now back to middle)

Then last night I checked the water and my FC and CYA were low, CYA was ~10! I raised both, FC to ~12 and CYA to 30-40

I didnt have a chance to check the water this morning so I threw half a jug of 10% chlorine in there (was going to be 100 today). I was only home from work for a second before running out in a hurry so I threw another 1/4 in there.

Tonight I just checked the water and here are the results

pH - 7.0 (looked in between 7.2 & 6.8, it was previously 7.2 before I vacuumed)
    FC - 14.5-15 (little higher than I thought it would be)
    CC - Less than .5!

CH - 80
    TA - 70

I'm thinking my shock process is almost complete, I'm going to look at the pool school and figure out how to do the overnight test. I really want to get the rest of the levels up so I can maybe get in it for the first time this weekend

This looks like just dirt, but this is what I was vacuuming, this is the night after vacuuming before I swept the bottom:

Aaron

7. Back To Top    #7

What levels do you want to get up?

The only thing questionable is the low pH. I think you still have a bit more shock process to go as you have not been very consistent with maintaining the shock level, but hopefully you are close.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL