Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CC

1. Back To Top    #1

High CC

Hi All,

I have high high CC (2.0). I have a 20ft x 40ft inground - 30,000 gal I think. Any suggestions? Do I need to shock?

TIA, Steve

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: High CC

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a complete set of test results?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! When you post the test results, also indicate how you got them: Taylor kit; TF-100 kit; strips; pool store . . .
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

How's the pool look? Clear? Cloudy? Green? Solid enough to walk across?

Did you just pull the cover off before testing?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm using a Taylor K-2006

This morning's readings:

Ph 7.5

TA 130

FC 3.6
    CC 2.0

CYA 80

CH 90

Water is clear. No algae at this point. FC seems tough to keep up lately - I have feeder wide open.

Thanks for all of the replies!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woitkowski
    I'm using a Taylor K-2006

This morning's readings:

Ph 7.5

TA 130

FC 3.6
    CC 2.0

CYA 80

CH 90

Water is clear. No algae at this point. FC seems tough to keep up lately - I have feeder wide open.

Thanks for all of the replies!
    Short answer: yes, you need to perform the shock process. That CC is too high. For that matter, so is your CYA level and you're making it worse if you're using a puck feeder!

You will be seeing algae soon if you don't get on it fast! Nip it in the bud!

[center:2d24jr28][youtube:2d24jr28]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:2d24jr28][/center:2d24jr28]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

How do I get the CYA down? Change out water? If so, how much?
    Liquid Shock or Granular?

8. Back To Top    #8

When you say "you're making it worse if you're using a puck feeder" -- Are chlorine feeders bad? What should I be using?

9. Back To Top    #9

How do I get the CYA down? Change out water? If so, how much?
    Liquid Shock or Granular?
    The only way to lower CYA realistically is by draining and refilling. Tap water has no CYA, so the math is pretty easy.

Liquid shock or plain Chlorox bleach (or store brand equivalent - check the strength %) is what you need.

Study pool-school/shocking_your_pool

[center:2erkznp7][/center:2erkznp7]

10. Back To Top    #10

When you say "you're making it worse if you're using a puck feeder" -- Are chlorine feeders bad? What should I be using?
    [center:zbhzp1oi]

[/center:zbhzp1oi]

11. Back To Top    #11

I will read -- thanks.

12. Back To Top    #12

I read "How to Chlorinate Your Pool". Is this a good plan?

I'm going to drain some water (to the return), and refill.
    Use liquid shock (have to figure out how much).
    Will test everything again afterwards.

Going forward I will turn down the puck feeder and use a maintenance regimen of liquid chlorine (need to figure out how much).

If CYA doesn't go down enough, I'll repeat the drain and refill thing again.

Does that sound like the right thing to do?