Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked top manifold. Do I need to replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracked top manifold. Do I need to replace?

Hi all,

I recently discovered the website and I love it!

When cleaning my D.E. filter grids by myself for the first time, I noticed the top manifold has a crack (I attached a photo to this post where the crack is). I turned on the filter with the cover off and water and DE is coming up from the underside.

I am not familiar with filters and don't know if it is affecting the filtering or not. I had the grids cleaned a few years ago by a so called professional pool service and I suspect the crack came when they tried to pull the grid system out and it has been like that all this time. Since it's been like this for a few years, the filter is definitely working, but I am not sure if it is less effective because of this, or if it doesn't matter.

The filter is a 48 sq ft Jandy Model DEL48.

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30K Gallon Vinyl Inground
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method
    Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Cracked top manifold. Do I need to replace?

That's on the "dirty side" of the grids, so it could allow DE to fill the grids and/or escape back into the pool.

Myself? I'd lightly sand the area and smear a bunch of epoxy on it and let it cure for a couple hours.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mexico, MO

Re: Cracked top manifold. Do I need to replace?

Marine grade epoxy!!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.