Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer sock

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer sock

I'm looking for alternatives to skimmer socks .. im wondering if anyone has any input on spun bonded hair nets?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skimmer sock

People use large knee highs or gallon paint strainers
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

post498334.html

2 pairs for a buck at walgreens.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I like the hair nets. They are so inexpensive, I just throw them away when dirty. They keep my skimmer and pump baskets clean and are easy to install.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I also used the knee highs. Here's a thread I wrote on how beneficial they are for that purpose. There are other suggestions in the comments of the thread, but I think they've all been covered above already.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...g-trip-anymore

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful day
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd like to try the hair net idea. Whould this be a good choice? http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Hai...60_SR160%2C160_
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I've never personally used the hairnets, but there was a comment in the thread I wrote above that the person said that's all they ever use. Here is another Amazon link that might save you a couple more dollars on the price, if that's what you decide to go with. http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Hai...able+hair+nets

I've also gotten some actual skimmer socks from Lowe's this year at 3 for like $5.95. They are nice and heavy and can be cleaned with the garden hose, and reused, Unless you're battling algae then I'd say pitch them because you don't want to risk returning algae to your pool. I hope this helps. Have a nice day.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the 3M Disposable Hair Net 407, Spunbond Polypropylene on the recommendation of several TFP'ers. Highly recommend. Case of 100 is about $8 at Amazon.

3M Disposable Hair Net 407, Spunbond Polypropylene, Universal, White (Case of 100): Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

9. Back To Top    #9

Wanted to follow up after using these for a week, and they work perfectly! Disposable is so much better than the pool product type. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    I use the 3M Disposable Hair Net 407, Spunbond Polypropylene on the recommendation of several TFP'ers. Highly recommend. Case of 100 is about $8 at Amazon.

3M Disposable Hair Net 407, Spunbond Polypropylene, Universal, White (Case of 100): Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

10. Back To Top    #10

I use the Skim Mor brand. You can find some good deals on ebay. I change mine daily and let them stack up. Once a week I throw them in the washer and reuse them until they fall apart.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

11. Back To Top    #11

unbelievable
    what a good tip
    we have boxes of disposable hair nets at work
    free for the taking
    cant wait for monday to get some and try them out
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post

I got these too and they work great!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by rdshackleford View Post
    Wanted to follow up after using these for a week, and they work perfectly! Disposable is so much better than the pool product type. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieta View Post
    unbelievable
    what a good tip
    we have boxes of disposable hair nets at work
    free for the taking
    cant wait for monday to get some and try them out
    Quote Originally Posted by poolnewbies5874 View Post
    I got these too and they work great!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Glad to hear it's working for each of you. That was a great tip I found here, too.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.