Algae in skimmer opening

Apr 11, 2013
Hi,

SWG
FC 4, CC 0, CYA 40, TA 80, CH 200, PH 7.8
Pool at 85-88 degrees all day long (full sun all day).
Chlorine is keeping up and not dropping below 3.

My pool is perfectly clear. Pool is a brown pebble tech. I noticed on the entrance to the skimmer from the pool about a square foot the pebble tech was greenish. I took a brush and it easily brushed off. Stupid question...is this Algae? What are my next steps at this point? How do I prevent this?

Thanks!

After brushing my pool, and adding 4ppm chlorine, I re-checked 2 hours later. Now for the first time, I saw 1.5 CC and I though my FC would be about 7 but it was only 4.5. Should I continue to try to get the chlorine to 6ppm by adding more, or do I need to shock?

Thanks

I tried one thing first. I put up my SWG system from 50% to 100%. I added 1lb. Dichlor (2ppm for my pool of 30K gallons). Came back 4 hours later and my FC went from 4.5 to 10.0. Must have taken a while for the first two pounds of Dichlor to take effect (I am using Dichlor because I want to raise my CYA anyway.... My CC is now 0.

I went out and bought Costco Clorox 8.25% bleach to get ready for shocking, but I don't think its needed now. Brushing the pool obviously got the chlorine working on some contaminants, but am I in the clear now? Should I perform a FC night test? Should I bring back down my SWG percentage?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

Overnight test results went from 11FC to 8.5. CC only at .5.

Anything else I can try before shocking? I am surprised my CC would have been 0 last night with FC 11...I thought I was out of the woods. Comments Appreciated. Thanks.

You can check all the algae hiding places (including light niches) and make sure they are cleaned/exposed to the shock process. Lotsa' brushing.

We don't recommend running a SWG at 100%, as it shortens the life of the cell.

Please add your pool and equipment specs in your sig.

Added Sig.

My pool is extremely hard to brush. It has 3 waterfalls, a waterslide, steps under the waterfalls, and because of this half of the pool is extremely difficult to brush because you are standing up on 5 feet of rocks climbing around trying to access the wall.

Should I wait and see what happens tonight, or start shocking?

tpjenkins said:
Added Sig.

My pool is extremely hard to brush. It has 3 waterfalls, a waterslide, steps under the waterfalls, and because of this half of the pool is extremely difficult to brush because you are standing up on 5 feet of rocks climbing around trying to access the wall.
Post some pics and maybe we can give you some more ideas on the brushing/cleaning aspects.

Should I wait and see what happens tonight, or start shocking?
Absolutely start the shock process asap/now. Later, when the sun is off the pool, try to raise FC back to shock level several times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have never owned a pool, and am 2 months into it. I recently moved into a new house that had this monster already built. My wife is ready to divorce me because I spend 4 hours a day trying to get a handle on this beast. I have mostly had trouble with equipment, but all of it except the filter has been replaced now. I have fired 2 pool men because the more I learn from this site, the more I think the pool men do nothing. No tests, no wall scrubbing...just plug in a hose and vacuum for a few minutes.

I fear the last comment is right. Time to swim and clean. Hopefully my P93 robot will scrub some of those surfaces.

As far as FC to achieve while shocking, I am at CYA 50, PH 7.6, FC 8, CH 200, TA 80. This forum recommende 24, but the pool calculator recommend 16. Suggestions of FC to achieve for shocking appreciated.

tpjenkins said:
...I fear the last comment is right. Time to swim and clean. Hopefully my P93 robot will scrub some of those surfaces. ...
By the way, I hope my comment didn't sound sarcastic. I think that might be the best way, and if I had an awesome pool like that it might be the most fun as well! Good luck.

I second the grab a brush and swim comment. I have an Above Ground so my options are limited when not in the pool.

For me, I set a hand brush (similar to this) on the edge of the pool and get in and clean.
110055b.jpg

and my wall brush (short pole is easier but sometimes I use my 8 or 16 foot)
PAAAIAIHEGPAAMBOt.jpg

I just walk a Couple laps around the pool to sweep the walls with the big wall brush and then use the smaller brush on the water line, ladder area, and skimmer mouth. It's like pulling weeds, I find it therapeutic to "clean the pool" while in it. When I an cleaning the pool or pulling weeds, the family leaves me alone and I go to my "quiet place".

I can't do this easily
WW-2hand.gif

Reactions: LADYBLUE72
tpjenkins said:
I have never owned a pool, and am 2 months into it. I recently moved into a new house that had this monster already built. My wife is ready to divorce me because I spend 4 hours a day trying to get a handle on this beast. I have mostly had trouble with equipment, but all of it except the filter has been replaced now. I have fired 2 pool men because the more I learn from this site, the more I think the pool men do nothing. No tests, no wall scrubbing...just plug in a hose and vacuum for a few minutes.

I fear the last comment is right. Time to swim and clean. Hopefully my P93 robot will scrub some of those surfaces.

As far as FC to achieve while shocking, I am at CYA 50, PH 7.6, FC 8, CH 200, TA 80. This forum recommende 24, but the pool calculator recommend 16. Suggestions of FC to achieve for shocking appreciated.
The Chlorine/CYA chart shock level is higher, therefore a little more aggressive. That's what I would use w/plaster pool.

Since you said you are relatively new to pools, I'll post the info on appropriate brushes to use:
Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anything other than a nylon brush.

Shocked pool...brought FC to 22 PPM. Did overnight test. Had 20.5 FC this morning. No CC. Water clear. From what I read here I am done shocking pool? I lost 1.5 FC instead of 1, but I am not sure if I should continue shocking today. When I am done, should I turn on my SWG, or wait until FC drops to normal levels on its own. Thanks.

Wow! Whoever built that must have liked waterfalls! Hope that hill is drained well away from the pool! Makes me want to add ONE to my pool. I think I would take FC back up to 22 one more day, takes a lot less from 20.5 to 22 than from where you started. Algae likes rocks, so you want to make sure it's gone. I agree with your pool guy comment... $150/mo for 10 minutes a week seems fairly typical. I love doing my own for less than $50/mo., my payment is getting wet.

^^^yep, what tcat said. Continue shocking until you pass the OCLT. Passing all three tests is necessary to confirm when you are done shocking.

You are very, very close. It would be a shame to be so close and not finish. :wink:

Thanks for everyone's help. Pool passed FC night test. Looking great. Had one final question for you.

The FC is coming down very slowly...I only have 50 CYA in pool. It started at 21 48 hours ago, 15 yesterday, and now it is 12.5. It only lost 2.5 and today was sunny all day (and my pool gets sun the entire day).

Is this normal at 50CYA to only lose around 20% of your FC over a 24 hour period. I have not turned my SWG on in 72 hours.

Thanks,

Tony

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.