Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Venting Stenner pump tank without significant evaporation

1. Back To Top    #1

Venting Stenner pump tank without significant evaporation

Ok, so I've got this Stenner pump which is pumping bleach into a spa. The tank has a lip on the top (see picture) surface underneath the pump which accumulates water when it rains, so I sealed the drainage hole from the pump into the tank with caulk.

But when I did that, the tank could not vent any air and tank would bulge until it leaked bleach everywhere out through the cap onto the top surface. To fix that problem, I drilled a small hole in the side of the tank, but I think there might be a lot of bleach evaporating through that hole (it gets easily in to the mid-90's now here in Texas...)

So my question is how can I properly vent the tank without losing much bleach through evaporation? Thanks.

15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Venting Stenner pump tank without significant evaporatio

Assuming you made a small hole, evaporation is not an issue. It will evaporate to some extent, but so little that it really doesn't make any difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Assuming you made a small hole, evaporation is not an issue. It will evaporate to some extent, but so little that it really doesn't make any difference.
    Wow, you replied faster than I was able to figure out how to embed the image correctly into my post. So, would you consider a 1/4" diameter hole not too big? Thanks!
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

That is larger than I would have used, but should still be fine/minimal evaporation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School