Should I raise CYA?

lee872

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2012
Central Massachusetts
I uncovered my pool 8 days ago. Water has been clear for 4 days and pool is clean with no signs of algae. I am still not passing OCLT though. CYA needs to come up, but I am leery of adding stabilizer for fear it gets too high. I added 2 tabs of trichlor in a floater 1 week ago and another 2 tabs yesterday. I"ve been shocking to the CYA 30 level, because I can't add chlorine during the day -- FC hasn't gone below 7 since I started.Should I bite the bullet and add stabilizer? I'm eager to stop the shock process, will CYA of 30 make a difference?

This morning before shock:
FC 9
CC .5 (this has been consistent since opening)
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH 220
CYA 20

I'm eager to stop the shock process, will CYA of 30 make a difference?
Not really. Do you know that your CYA is really 20?

If you are not passing the OCLT, then you still have organics in your pool and must keep the shock level at 10 ppm (or a bit above) CONTINUALLY until all the organics are consumed by the chlorine.

Thanks. The TF-100 is about the only kit that will reach as low as 20 so that now makes sense to me.

Just repeating, there is no advantage in going to 30 right now. Just keep replenishing your FC as often as you can, brush, filter, vacuum as often as you can and, especially, keep the faith.

The chlorine will burn up the organics in time and your pool will look like it has never looked before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.