Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: autopilot screen keeps clogging

1. Back To Top    #1

autopilot screen keeps clogging

We have a salt pool with auopilot. Can't get the water clear; clearly the filter/chlorinator is not doing its job. The chemicals seem to be ok (I have added shock to make sure chlorine stays good). I keep on seeing the blinking red light and the message :"Purifier off; check flow". I clean the screen, put it back, and a few minutes later I have to repeat. I cleaned the basket. What else could it be?
    30K gal, IG vinyl, sand, 1 HP AC Smith Centurion Model # B128, new liner Aug '12

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: autopilot screen keeps clogging

Welcome to the forum. Everything to do with pool water chemistry starts off with current, accurate test results.

Can you post those for us?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

When you clean the filter screen in the PoolPilot manifold, is there a lot of debris there? If so, there is probably something wrong with your filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Welcome to TFP!

When you clean the filter screen in the PoolPilot manifold, is there a lot of debris there? If so, there is probably something wrong with your filter.
    _
    I was afraid of that. But shouldn't the pool people who got our pool started a couple of weeks ago have noticed that when they re-installed the filter? Aren't they supposed to clean the filter at the start of the season?
    30K gal, IG vinyl, sand, 1 HP AC Smith Centurion Model # B128, new liner Aug '12

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe and maybe. Pool opening and closing services generally include cleaning the filter, but not always. They don't generally include testing to see if the filter is working correctly.

What kind of filter do you have?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe and maybe. Pool opening and closing services generally include cleaning the filter, but not always. They don't generally include testing to see if the filter is working correctly.

What kind of filter do you have?
    I have a Nautilus DE filter model # FNS 36

7. Back To Top    #7

It is usually obvious when a DE filter is not working correctly, since DE accumulates in the pool. However, it is possible for the multi-port valve to break so that some water completely bypasses the filter, which seems more likely.

If you are seeing DE in the pool, check to make sure none of the filter grids inside the filter are torn and all o-rings and pipes inside the filter are intact and correctly installed.

If you are not seeing any DE in the pool. Check the multi-port valve. The most likely failure is a problem with the spider gasket.

8. Back To Top    #8

It is usually obvious when a DE filter is not working correctly, since DE accumulates in the pool. However, it is possible for the multi-port valve to break so that some water completely bypasses the filter, which seems more likely.

If you are seeing DE in the pool, check to make sure none of the filter grids inside the filter are torn and all o-rings and pipes inside the filter are intact and correctly installed.

If you are not seeing any DE in the pool. Check the multi-port valve. The most likely failure is a problem with the spider gasket.
    They just replaced the multi-port valve. I guess there is DE in the pool since when I clean the aquabot there is fine mud in it. So I guess we can't avoid replacing the filter...

9. Back To Top    #9

How hard is it to open the filter? Isn't it heavy work?

10. Back To Top    #10

It shouldn't be too difficult. There is normally a locking ring that gets loosened and removed and then the top comes off.

Examine the grids and look for tears. You can replace individual grids. If several grids have failed it is often better to replace the entire set of grids.

11. Back To Top    #11

It shouldn't be too difficult. There is normally a locking ring that gets loosened and removed and then the top comes off.

Examine the grids and look for tears. You can replace individual grids. If several grids have failed it is often better to replace the entire set of grids.
    Of course I should stop the pump first. Any other precautions?

12. Back To Top    #12

And by the way thanks for all the responses!