cannot open pool this summer

Jun 9, 2013
Hi! First time posting to this forum.

To make a long story short, we lost the majority of our pool fence to Hurricane Sandy last fall. Our contractor has been jerking us around and now we find ourselves trying to get out of a contract and without a pool fence. This leaves us unable to open our pool this season.

Our safety cover already has water pooling on top of it and I am afraid of the pool "overflowing." We have only owned this house (and the pool) for five years, so I am still learning. My searches have only found ways to pump water off the top of a covered pool. I need to know how to pump water out of the pool itself.

Also, what potential problems could I face next year because of not opening the pool this year?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :)

Welcome to TFP!

Just fold back a corner of the cover and lower a sump pump or cover pump into the pool to lower the water level.

As long as the cover remains intact you shouldn't have too much trouble opening the pool next year. You will almost certainly have algae by then, but that is straightforward to deal with as long as the cover is keeping leaves and other debris out of the pool the whole time.

Hi JasonLion!

Thanks for your reply. :)

Pardon my ignorance, but the cover pumps I have been seeing during my searches can be completely submerged into the water? And if so, what do I look for in a "cover pump?" I don't want to get the wrong thing.

Thanks again. :)

Check the one you're getting, but I would imagine all cover pumps are submergible. Certainly the one I have is.

Side question - so what's the problem with having an open pool without a fence ? I don't really see the difference between an open pool and closed one if there is a fence or not...

hi scooperhsd-

by law in nj, your pool must be completely enclosed by a fence and have locks on the gates, etc.

even if that wasn't the law, i still wouldn't open the pool without it being fenced in. i have a three-and-a-half-year-old and neighbors on both sides of us have children as well. ANOTHER reason for wanting to pump water out of the pool in addition to it overflowing. the water that is now pooling on the top of the cover is a hazard as well.

thanks for the insight on the pump. going to start googling tomorrow and hopefully find what it is i need. :)

hi again!

i found the pump i need online and it will be here wednesday. thanks for the replies.

the water level is already quite high, maybe 3 inches from the edge of the pool. is there any danger to the pool "overflowing?" i could swear i remember reading somewhere that water could get behind the liner and cause a problem??? or am i stressing over nothing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.