Anyone Else Running a Hayward VL Sand Filter?

I'm quite curious where this discussion will go. I have been thinking about upgrading to the VL40T32 after the Game Sand Pro 50 dies. The Sand Pro has made keeping my pool clean so much easier, but the bearings started rusting(to the point of seizing) just a few months after we got it. I have pulled the motor apart twice and put some machine oil on them so it is still plugging away. I'm hoping the Hayward will be more reliable.
Your second season will be the last? Why?

Well, not very far as of yet it looks like. :lol:

To answer your question, it is mostly because I would like a little more filter. I
shouldn't complain too much as it really isn't bad for the money. It has become noisy since the end of last season as a shaft seal on the rear of the motor failed. More of a bushing actually, but since it's gone the motor noise is quite annoying. Before, you had to go near it to know it was running. It does the job, but it will not handle a bad situation very well... say when there is a lot of work to be done in a cleanup situation. I know...it isn't really meant to be as robust as a "real pool" setup, I just want more. However, I think I might finally have the wife considering a build in the next year or two, so that may come into play now.

:party:

I'm afraid reliability is going to be an issue with these smaller pumps designed for use with "temporary" pools. The Sand Pro does not seem particularly well engineered or constructed. I think it would last considerably long if it was covered. Water has gotten into the bearing and rusted it out. Unfortunately it is pressed on the shaft of the armature, and it is beyond my capability to replace.
Do you think putting a waterproof covering over the hayward pump would extend it's longevity? Is it even a water intrusion issue?
Thanks,
Ky

Nope, not a water intrusion issue yet, but I am careful with it since that is gone. I would replace it, but Hayward won't replace the part. Took me a long time to find that out from them too. I really think it would be easier to reach the President of the USA by phone than actually speak with someone at Hayward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.