Pool Drain Suction?

Jun 9, 2013
Modesto, Ca
Hello all, Semi-new pool owner here. My problem is this. I have been having a lot of dirt in the deep end of the pool and so I was thinking my drain wasnt doing its job. I went down and put my hand on the drain with the pump on and felt zero suction. I took a closer look with goggles and it looks like the drain had some debris all around both drains that never made it through. Now, I tried bypassing the skimmer at the suction of the pump and I seemed to have good flow coming from the drain. About 2-3PSI increase, but still good flow. When I bypassed the drain and came just off the skimmer, same results. I know the drain is going to suck me to the bottom, nut shouldnt I at least feel some suction at the drain. I took the T valve (bypass) apart and found now obstructions. So basically my drain isnt sucking and I seem to have good flow at the pump with the skimmer bypassed. When I sweep the dirt down to the drain it just sits there next to the drain and piles up. I need some help please... Thanks

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I do not have a main drain so I am parroting info I have read on the forum.

It seems many main drains do not have much NOTICEABLE flow. I think the design is such they are not intended to.

More important, I don't feel a main drain is a cleaning device but rather a device to improve the balance of your circulatory system.

Cleaning the pool floor is the domain of vacuums, leaf nets, and auto vacs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.