Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Drain Suction?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Drain Suction?

Hello all, Semi-new pool owner here. My problem is this. I have been having a lot of dirt in the deep end of the pool and so I was thinking my drain wasnt doing its job. I went down and put my hand on the drain with the pump on and felt zero suction. I took a closer look with goggles and it looks like the drain had some debris all around both drains that never made it through. Now, I tried bypassing the skimmer at the suction of the pump and I seemed to have good flow coming from the drain. About 2-3PSI increase, but still good flow. When I bypassed the drain and came just off the skimmer, same results. I know the drain is going to suck me to the bottom, nut shouldnt I at least feel some suction at the drain. I took the T valve (bypass) apart and found now obstructions. So basically my drain isnt sucking and I seem to have good flow at the pump with the skimmer bypassed. When I sweep the dirt down to the drain it just sits there next to the drain and piles up. I need some help please... Thanks
    ~12600 gal AV ground
    Pebble Tec
    Sta-Rite 300 Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite 2hp Filter Pump
    Sta-Rite 1.5hp booster for waterfal
    A&A Pool Cleaner System
    SAm lighting - 2

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool Drain Suction?

Welcome to the forum. I do not have a main drain so I am parroting info I have read on the forum.

It seems many main drains do not have much NOTICEABLE flow. I think the design is such they are not intended to.

More important, I don't feel a main drain is a cleaning device but rather a device to improve the balance of your circulatory system.

Cleaning the pool floor is the domain of vacuums, leaf nets, and auto vacs.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School