2 different intex 2650gph sand filters

Im looking to upgrade from my intex cartridge filter to a intex sand filter. I currently have the 15'x4' round regular frame intex pool. The cartridge pump filter has done well for the 2 seasons we have had it and is still currently functioning. I run the filter 24/7 and change out the filters every other day, rinse the filter and put back in service when it is needed again. I want to upgrade the pump/filter due to the excessive maintenance required on the current cartridge style filter.

I see on ebay that there is 2 versions of the Intex 2650gph sand filter/pump.

The blue version appears to have a larger filter canister (sand container)

vs

The gray version (presumably newer version) has what appears to be a smaller filter (sand container)

other differences between the two only from appearance of pictures is the valve styling. The Blue version seems to have a larger valve cap I would assume this is easier for filling with sand/removing sand aswell as cleaning. (im talking about where the valve attaches to the sand container the blue one has a bigger diameter where it separates from the sand container.

I know since I have a smaller regular frame pool that ill need adapters to plumb into the pool, the Ebay auctions say that Shut off valves and adapters are included so no need to modify anything, and the shutoff valves will be way better then those black caps UGH!.

looking to order a pump this up coming week so hopefully can get some good info before making my purchase.

Thanks in advance

maybe these pictures will help with what im talking about. where the black ring goes around the sand container. the blue one obviously has a larger diameter opening, im assuming that would allow for easier filling/removing/cleaning purposes. the blue one also appears to be larger overall. both are advertized as 2650gph which i would assume is only the pump rating(how much water it can move) not the actual filtering area. a larger filtering area would mean more filterization

Well I ordered the Gray filter this morning, guarenteed delivery by Friday so we shall see... I was unable to find the blue filter as shown above with the 1.5" to 1.25" adapters included. The gray one the adapters are included along with two newer style plunger valves.

im kinda curious to see how these adapters and plunger valves are going to attach to the pool and the filter. currently im stuck using the black caps which cap off inside the pool, only after having disconnected the surface skimmer hose attachment, and the return eyelet attachment. hopefully these new adapters, plunger valves and upgraded filter system make maintenance much more faster and easier.

with the recent 6+ inches of rain we have had in the area the pool has overflowed twice now and draining requires removing the return hose from the pool connection and attaching to another longer hose and then using the pump to drain....

I was reading somewhere that the timer set up on this pump/filter is programmable not just a rotary 12hr countdown timer. is this correct?

If it is the same timer arrangement that most other Intex pumps have, it is a simple count-down timer.

You turn it on, and the pump runs for however long the timer is set for, then it will come on again for that same amount of time, 24 hours later.

I think I may need to remove the plastic from the inside of the blue inlet strainer, or get a different skimmer because with the current pump and skimmer setup leaves and smaller particles get past the skimmer basket and get stuck on front of the inlet to the inlet hose to the pump, im afraid that if enough gets stuck there it could run the new pump dry of water and burn it up. its the first thing I check when I see the return not flowing good, if the inlet is not restricted with debris then i know the filter was in need of servicing.

Since you have the same pool I do, I'll let you know what I did for my pump upgrade.

The pump I bought had the larger through wall fittings with it.

I had my wife in the pool with a tupperware bowl with the inside part of the fitting in the bowl. I used the nut for the outside of the pool as a template and marked around the original rubber piece that sticks out of the wall. I had her place the bowl over the original fitting. I cut the liner to the line I marked with the nut. Pulled the old fitting and rubber tube out through the hole, then pulled the new fitting from the bowl into the larger hole. Screwed the nut onto the new fitting, and attached the plunger valve to it. Very little loss of water, and an easy install of the new fitting.

If your pump comes with the larger through wall pieces, I would suggest that you use them. The old to new adapters have been known to slip off very easily, especially the return side due to the pressure from the stronger pump.

Charlie_R said:
I had my wife in the pool with a tupperware bowl with the inside part of the fitting in the bowl. I used the nut for the outside of the pool as a template and marked around the original rubber piece that sticks out of the wall. I had her place the bowl over the original fitting. I cut the liner to the line I marked with the nut. Pulled the old fitting and rubber tube out through the hole, then pulled the new fitting from the bowl into the larger hole. Screwed the nut onto the new fitting, and attached the plunger valve to it. Very little loss of water, and an easy install of the new fitting.

That is quite clever and had not read that method before :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the info, I'll post pictures of what comes when it gets here. on the larger pool connections do debris get stuck on the face of the inlet connection to inlet hose and block flow? I really hate the fact that my skimmer lets small leaves and things get past.

The new sand filter has its own skimmer basket before the pump. so Im assuming anything that can get past that basket skimmer is ok for the pump to take in and push over to the filter. with this being said I was gonna remove the plastic screen from my wall inlet fitting to remove possible blockage. But if the Larger wall fittings are of better design thats even better

I do have to remove large debris from my pool before vacuuming. Since my cartridge filter/pump doesn't have a strainer basket, the leaves etc can and do get stuck in the pump inlet, starving the pump a bit. So far I've caught it before the pump starts to cavitate.

I've tried using a skimmer basket sock thinking it would stop the smaller debris from getting to the wall fitting, but it still happened. the debris just go around the basket and down and under into the hose to the wall connection. But if the small bits of leaves and little things are ok to make it to the pump skimmer basket ill just remove the things from the wall fittings.

My vacuum has a debris bag that is attached to the head of the vacuum. so im not really worried about the new pump/filter with vacuuming, just when the pump is running with the skimmer.

I am still using the original "hang it on the wall" skimmer with mine, until later this summer when I can purchase and install the Hayward SP1091LX through-wall skimmer. Some leaves and tree seed pods do make it around the joke of a basket and into the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.