Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Newbie - Vacation Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Newbie - Vacation Questions

I've been using the BBB method with our pool since it was installed in March, and haven't had any problems maintaining sparkling water! Now I'm just concerned about vacation time.

We were planning on using the Chlorease SWG that we got free with our pool package, but I'm frankly scared to unscrew the top rail and install the thing... I just know I'll pull the coping up with the rail and the liner will fall in (or something like that ). The salt is in the pool, so when we can afford an inline SWG we're going to go that route. Probably not this year - BBB has been really easy so far.

BUT - we're taking a week vacation this summer, and I was wondering how to maintain when we're gone. How many pucks can I toss in the skimmer? Would one do it, or would I need more? I've never used them, so am at a loss .
    Va Beach
    18' round, 54" tall above ground pool
    1hp, Hayward Xstream Cartridge filter, 100 sf

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana
    I wouldn't put anything in the skimmer. A floater would be a better option, but they are less than stellar in delivering chlorine. The only way to find out what your pool will need is to try it. For a week, I wouldn't be too concerned about shocking before you go and then adding the floater. For a longer trip, I'd try to find somebody who could check on it a couple of times.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat