Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swg vs buy chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Swg vs buy chlorine

Anyone ever figure out how long it takes to get your money back on a swg vs paying for chlorine. Or do people mostly buy for convenience?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swg vs buy chlorine

It's been done many times. Here's some search results. Happy reading.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is mostly for convince.

On the average pool bleach and a SWG break even in the very long run, though on any particular pool it could come out slightly better one way or the other. If you factor in the capital cost of buying the SWG up front instead of buying bleach over time, bleach is a better deal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ethany
    Anyone ever figure out how long it takes to get your money back on a swg vs paying for chlorine. Or do people mostly buy for convenience?
    Most people I know that go with SWG do so for convenience. If you travel a lot and the pool is left unattended for several days at at time, a SWG is the way to go.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

In general, the economics swing more towards the SWG when a pool that is in full sunlight is larger in volume. That's because the cost of the chlorine linearly scales up with the volume of pool water while the cost of larger SWGs scales up less than linearly and generally the electricity cost is a minor part of the overall cost -- it's mostly about the capital cost allocation (initial cost and ongoing cell replacement).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    Most people I know that go with SWG do so for convenience. If you travel a lot and the pool is left unattended for several days at at time, a SWG is the way to go.
    It certainly is convenient. I will dose my pool at 10:00 this morning and I am 700 miles away

Even with my cheap Intex stuff, I figure I would just have to replace/maintenance stuff earlier making the cost probably the same as the better SWG systems.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit