Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap Chlorine

I tried a search for this topic, but I appologize if this isn't the right spot or appropriate. I know I read one thread discussing chlorine costs. I thought I'd put it out there. Two times in the past several weeks I've purchased 8.25% bleach from Walmart for $0.99. That's 67% off and seems to me to be about as cheap as it comes. Any thoughts?
    4500 gallon 9'x18'x52"
    Krystal Clear Model 635 Filter | 1500 gal/hr
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System
    Links: Pool School | The Pool Calculator | CYA/Chlorine Chart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cheap Chlorine

What size is the bottle?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Those dirty suckers...it's 121oz. They increased the concentration and lowered the volume. I think it's still a good deal at $0.99
    4500 gallon 9'x18'x52"
    Krystal Clear Model 635 Filter | 1500 gal/hr
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System
    Links: Pool School | The Pool Calculator | CYA/Chlorine Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, that is a good deal!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

0.99/(121*0.0825)= $0.10/oz NaClO...awesome price!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Was looking for chlorine at Wal-Mart today ... No 10% anywhere and no big jugs of 8.25% anywhere ... too many TFPers around here

Had to go to Lowe's.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

My local pool store sells 10.5% chlorine in 2.5 gallon carboys for $5.80. You have to buy the empty carboys for $5.80 each the first time, then refills are $5.80. That works out to be $.17/oz and that's the lowest price I've seen around here.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)