Spring opening disaster! HELP!

Jun 2, 2008
We took the cover off our above ground pool yesterday and the water was dark green. We hooked up all the hoses and replaced the sand in our filter. The pressure gauge reading when everything is OFF is at 45 and when ON is at 60. Last year it was at 20 in the OFF position and maybe 30 when filter was running. I don't know if this is a gauge issue and I am afraid to run the filter to address my green water.

If this sounds like a gauge issue, how do I address the water? I tested it with a test strip and the reading for chlorine and Ph is basically nothing. How to I raise the Ph and when should I shock the pool? I'm at a loss what to do.

Ok..thanks for the tip on the gauge : )

Now...I read the link you posted and now have another question. What is CYA? All I have ever done with this pool (and never had an issue) is monitor levels, use chlorine and shock it once a week.

As I stated in my first post...the Ph is pretty much at ZERO. Do i have to address that first or should I add my bag of shock and let the filter run?

CYA (Cyanuric acid) – This ingredient protects your chlorine from being completely consumed by the Sun.

Typical ranges are 30-60ppm for a standard pool and 60-80ppm for a pool with an SWG.

This comes straight from the “stickies” that can be accessed easily from the home page.

If you take some time to read thru these prepackaged information pages it will help greatly.

Do you have access to a good test kit? Are you getting your results from the pool store?

Either way if you can post a full set of numbers and more description of your pool you will receive all kinds of great “input” from the members here.

BTW CYA was my biggest issue when I decided to learn about pool chemistry.

The pool store was more than happy to keep me in the vicious cycle with my in line puck feeder.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your journey to pool enlightenment. :wink:

Briarkat said:
Ok..thanks for the tip on the gauge : )

Now...I read the link you posted and now have another question. What is CYA? All I have ever done with this pool (and never had an issue) is monitor levels, use chlorine and shock it once a week.

As I stated in my first post...the Ph is pretty much at ZERO. Do i have to address that first or should I add my bag of shock and let the filter run?

pH can't be zero. Pool test kits seldom read below 6.8.

JasonLion said:
If the PH is below 7.0, you want to bring it up to at least 7.0 right away.

Should I use Soda Ash? I have a 18 Ft. diameter pool with about 4 feet of water.

I know that the pool test strip only goes down to 6.8..it's below that so that's why I said Zero LOL

You can use soda ash or borax. When the PH is very low, TA is usually also very low and then it is best to use soda ash. If TA is already reasonable it is better to use borax. But you can use either one in either situation if you have to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.