Pool smells sweet and is cloudy

Apr 3, 2012
Well I have an interesting question. I will admit, I havent been a good pool owner this season. I opened the pool (10,000 fiberglass) about 3 weeks ago. Work and other life has really prevented me from staying on top of testing and chemicals, but I digress.

I use the BBB method and shocked up to 12 when I opened and vacuumed. There was a funny smell this year though. It is a sweet smell, almost like fermenting fruit, or fruit that has ripened too long, but not rotten. It doesn't smell like a pond or scummy. My wife says it has a slight yeast smell. I'm having a hard time describing it. I have shocked several times, but the smells remains. It's eating though chlorine like it means business. I finally have time this weekend to do a proper shock and keep an eye on it to keep the levels high until it stops dropping overnight. Anyway, any ideas on what is growing in there? Also, it is cloudy, but is starting to clear a little over the past day.

I assumed it was from some organic. Anyway, here are my numbers as of this morning. I added shock last night, but didnt get a chance to test after adding. According to poolcalculator, it should have shocked up to 12.

This morning.

FC: 8 (theoretical overnight drop from 12 to 8, but I am not going to rely on this until I do a real overnight drop test)
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 120
CH: 140 (maybe a little low? its fiberglass)
CYA: Didnt check. It was low 3 days ago, <20. I added 2 lbs of dichlor, which should have bumped it by ~12? Im waiting a week before testing it again, but I'll ballpark it around 20-30.

It's still a little cloudy, but seems to be going in the right direction. The sweet smell is still there, but fainter. I'm running the pump 24/7. I may wash out the cartridge this morning. Anything else I should be doing? I feel like its close to being good to get in, but the odd smell makes me cautious. The sweet smell overpowers the faint chlorine smell. Thanks!

It was winterized. I used RV antifreeze that said specifically on the bottle for pools. That does have me wondering though. I will have to find some and see if it smells like that. Any problems swimming in it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.