filter will not prime

Jun 8, 2013
Hi New to this site but have been fixing my pool for a couple of years now but I am stuck. I had a leak in my pvc pipe and I fixed it this year. I checked for any other leaks but I do not see any I have tested all the pipes with dawn and I do n ot see any bubles. My Hayward crystal clear II will not prime it trys to but will not prime. I have cleaned the de filter and lubed all the o rings. Help!! Oh one more thing after I cleaned the filter and replaced the de at the end of the de going through into the filter some of it went into the pool>

Welcome to the forum!

Are you saying the pump attached to the filter is not priming?

Is the pump basket full of water?

What is the pressure of the filter?

Did you recently vacuum the pool and is that when this started?

Check all your valve settings to make sure you don't have a suction port shut off.

I just experienced something that may be the same problem you're having. My problem turned out to be the impeller on the pump. It was the original one; all plastic. It was replaced with a new one, with metal threads, and that solved the problem.

To answer the questions first
Are you saying the pump attached to the filter is not priming? yes
Is the pump basket full of water? YES

What is the pressure of the filter? 0 no pressure

Did you recently vacuum the pool and is that when this started? no just started it up for season cannot prime so I cannot vacuum.

Check all your valve settings to make sure you don't have a suction port shut off. where are they what am I looking for???

Please don't take this the wrong way, but that's what my wife said. I was at work offshore when we ran into the problem. I tried to troubleshoot it over phone with her. Hopefully your problem is easier to fix than mine.

There might be something stuck in the impeller. Turn off the pump, remove the pump lid and basket. The impeller inlet is on the bottom of the pump basket. Check to make sure there is nothing stuck in there.

Also post a picture of your pad equipment. That might help and please follow these instructions:

pool-school/read_before_you_post

ok I got a shop vac that also is a leaf blower and I put it down the skimmer and blew it out. At first nothing ran it for 1 hour and still would not prime. 2 hours later I go out to see if I could do anything else and I turn it on and it primes. It is not as good a prime as in Previous years I think something is still part way in there do you think it will work its way out?? The pool is circulating now and is blue again. Yea!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support