Can I add acid while shocking?

Friday afternoon I tested the water with my K-2006
    FC 5.5
    cc 0
    pH 8.0 or higher, was really red
    TA 150
    CH 180
    CYA 35

We had a huge rainstorm on Friday night and I woke up to a green pool, there was what looked like green dust on the bottom and on the tile. The FC level was still around 5 in the morning, no CC. But the CYA read 60, from other posts I think this may be a false reading due to the cloudy green water.

I added liquid bleach to get my FC level up to 18, and it looks like its getting better (a little ) after half a day.

Two questions?
    1. Can I add acid while I am shocking to get the PH and TA under control, or do I need to wait till the FC levels are lower again
    2. In general, how do you bring the FC levels back after the green clears up. Do I just not add any bleach until the FC levels get back to target? Or do I still add bleach at lower levels?

Thanks all for this site, would be so lost without it!!!!!!
    40k gallon Diamond Brite pool, Hayward 3/4 HP Superflo, Pentair Tagelus TA 60D Sand Filter
    Complete rebuild, May 2013, Plaster, plumbing, deck, skimmers

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I add acid while shocking?

Welcome to the forum

You can test and adjust pH when the FC is below 10.

Let FC drop, test and adjust pH. Allow 30 minutes between additions and testing. Once pH is confirmed, resume the shock process.

Don't worry about TA now.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

About the CYA, fill the test tube with just pool water (no R-0013). If you can see the black dot all the way to the top, you know the cloudiness has not affected the result.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the feedback. I tested CYA this morning and it read 40 now that the water is a bit less cloudy. My FC is still at 17.

Since it will take a couple days to get the FC level down to 10 so I can test PH, is there no value in adding acid now? I know the PH was high before the shock. Or should I just be patient and shut up?
    40k gallon Diamond Brite pool, Hayward 3/4 HP Superflo, Pentair Tagelus TA 60D Sand Filter
    Complete rebuild, May 2013, Plaster, plumbing, deck, skimmers