Can a Cartridge Filter Vacuum to Waste?

Jul 8, 2011
Not sure if this is the best board to post on, or the algae board since my need to vacuum to waste likely comes from a problem I was having with algae....that said,

I was told that cartridge filters can't vacuum to waste, but I don't know if that's true. Coming off of my pump is a spigot that allows water to freely drain when I need it to, such as when my water level is too high. I also have a valve before the filter that can be turned to prevent the water from going into the filter.

Does this setup sound like I could vacuum to waste, and if so, since I have a 2 speed filter, is it safe to use the high setting or just the low setting?

Thanks in advance.

A spigot is very small and will restrict the water flow a lot. You can do it that way but it's really gonna affect the suction of the vacuum. You can take the cartridge out of the filter and open the drain and vacuum that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.